Thin film (interference problem)

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum thickness of a film with an index of refraction of 1.42 to be coated on a sheet of glass with an index of refraction of 1.20 in order to achieve maximum transmittance of green light with a wavelength of 525 nm through constructive interference. The total phase shift due to reflection is ∏, and in order for constructive interference to occur, this must be equal to 2∏m, where m is an integer. By setting m = 1, the minimum thickness is calculated to be 92.23 nm, which is half of the stated answer of 184.46 nm. Further discussion reveals that "preferentially transmitted" refers to maximum trans
Sefrez

Homework Statement

A sheet of glass having an index of refraction of 1.20 is to be coated with a film of material having an index of refraction of 1.42 such that green light with a wavelength of 525 nm (in air) is preferentially transmitted via constructive interference.

What is the minimum thickness of the film that will achieve the result?

Homework Equations

See my solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this problem and end up with a thickness half that of the answer. Here is what I did.

I first noted that on the first reflection, there is a phase shift of ∏. This is because it there is reflection on a surface of higher index. For the second reflection, there is no phase shift as the glass index is lesser than the film. So the total phase shift due to reflection is just ∏.

Then the total phase shift should be related with: Δ∅ = ∏ + 4∏nL/λ, where n = index of refraction of film, L = thickness of film, λ = wavelength of light in vacuum. In order for there to be constructive interference, this phase shift must be equal to 2∏m where m is an integer.

So:
∏ + 4∏nL/λ = 2∏m
1/2 + 2nL/λ = m
2nL/λ = m - 1/2
L = λ(m - 1/2) / (2n), m >= 1

In order to minimize L, I set m = 1. So:

L = λ(1/2) / (2n) = 1/4 λ/n = 1/4 525 nm / 1.42 = 92.23 nm

The answer state is 184.46 nm.

Am I incorrect or is it?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a drawing. Where is the first reflection for the transmitted light?

ehild

I am unsure if you meant for myself or a drawing here. I made one here so that you can see how I am interpreting the problem. Ray 1 has a phase shift of λ/2 from reflection, but Ray 2 does not.

Attachments

• thinfilm.png
    thinfilm.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 654
Sefrez said:
I am unsure if you meant for myself or a drawing here. I made one here so that you can see how I am interpreting the problem. Ray 1 has a phase shift of λ/2 from reflection, but Ray 2 does not.

That is the reflected beam, and you need to have maximum transmittance. That occurs if there is destructive interference in the reflected beam.

ehild

Oh, I interpreted that it wanted minimum transmittance:
is preferentially transmitted via constructive interference.

I guess that is not what it says.

"Preferentially transmitted" means maximum transmittance. So constructive interference happens in the transmitted beam (blue rays in the figure).

ehild

Attachments

• trancon.JPG
    trancon.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't sure what it meant by "preferentially" and "constructive interference." After seeing the figure with the added rays, I now see constructive interference is not referring to the rays to the left!

Also, thanks for drawing that. I was going to ask what correlated maximum transmission with minimum reflection considering that interference is an after the fact (it happens after the ray exits the film.) But now I see that the difference between the two phase differences (left rays and right rays) is always 180 degrees. Is that correct?

One transmitted ray goes directly through the layer, the other one first reflects from the layer-glass interface (no phase change) goes backwards through the layer again, reflects from the layer-air interface (no phase change) and goes through the layer once more. The phase difference is solely because of the path difference, so 4∏nL/λ = 2∏m to get maximum transmittance.
If there is no absorption, the transmitted plus reflected intensity = incident intensity. If the reflectance is minimum at a certain wavelength, the transmittance is maximum and vice versa. ehild

Yeah, I think I should re-phrase what I said, "is always 180 degrees" to "is 180 degrees when the other is a maximum or a minimum." I imagine if the rays on the left were at a phase difference of ∏/2, then the same would be true for the rays at the right - that is, both intermediate reflection and transmission. Thanks. :)

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, causing interference patterns to form. This can result in the appearance of colors or changes in the intensity of light.

2. How does the thickness of the film affect interference?

The thickness of the film determines the phase difference between the reflected light waves, which in turn affects the interference pattern. Thicker films will have a larger phase difference and therefore a different interference pattern compared to thinner films.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in thin films?

Constructive interference occurs when the reflected waves are in phase and reinforce each other, resulting in bright or intense colors. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when the reflected waves are out of phase and cancel each other out, resulting in dark or dull colors.

4. How does the refractive index of the film and surrounding medium influence interference?

The refractive index of the film and surrounding medium affects the phase difference between the reflected waves, which in turn affects the interference pattern. A larger difference in refractive index between the film and the surrounding medium will result in a larger phase difference and a more pronounced interference pattern.

5. What are some real-life applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference plays a role in many everyday objects and technologies, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses, oil slicks on water, and the colors seen on bubbles and soap films. It is also used in advanced technologies such as optical coatings for solar panels and thin film optical filters for cameras and other devices.