[Thin-Film Optics] Incident white light to color

In summary, the conversation revolves around estimating the reflecting color of a two thin-film system illuminated by white light. The solution involves using the Fresnel equations to determine transmittance/reflectance for each layer and then using the resulting reflectance functions to generate scattering/wave-transfer matrices. The conversation also discusses the use of online calculators and the complexity of multi-layer thin films. Ultimately, the solution involves tuning the thicknesses of the layers to resonantly transmit the desired color.
abstracted6
Hello, as you might have guessed, my question revolves around thin film optics. My intention is: Given a two thin-film system residing on top of a semi-infinite (bulk) layer, how can I estimate the reflecting color (RGB preferably) when illuminated by white light? (Illustrated below).

I obviously have omitted much of the specific information such as material, constants, etc (this isn't even my entire problem). I am not looking for an explicit answer, rather I'd like to be pointed in the right direction or some resource of where to start (Optics isn't really a strong suit of mine).

Ngqx68O.png

Science news on Phys.org
Hint: How would you normally do it for just one film?

I would imagine that in the end I want to get the reflectance as a function of wavelength which will essentially divulge the color information.

To get there I'm guessing I need to first use the fresnel equations to determine transmittance/reflectance for each layer. Then use the resulting reflectance functions to generate a the scattering/wave-transfer matrices which (I think) can yield the reflectance of the entire system? Then just iterate through my desired wavelength range.

Or would I be making it too complicated?

What does "translucent" mean?

Bad word choice I suppose, the top layer is somewhere in-between transparent and opaque.

OK - so what you actually mean is two transparent materials with different refractive indexes suitable for thin-film interference. For a moment there I wondered if the solution was simpler.

But yeah - you have to work out the reflection and transmission at each boundary and find the phase difference.
Multi-layer thin films can get quite complicated. Usually they get rigged so the dominant refection is off the bottom so you don't worry about the reflection from the middle layers.

I found this: http://www.filmetrics.com/reflectance-calculator an online calculator that calculates the reflectance of a multi-layer system.

They mention they used the "complex matrix form" of the Fresnel equations. I'm guessing that means the scattering/wave-transfer matrices?

Yeah - the general problem can be nasty - so you'd normally look for simplifications.
The problem I have with this question right now is that I don't know how to take it.

At first I thought it was an exercize for students - now I don't know.

Looking at it as written it looked like 4 layers.
0. air
1. a very thin scattering medium "translucent"
2. a thin refractive medium n>1 "transparent"
3. an absorbing medium "opaque"

So you'd just tune the thickness of layer 2 to resonantly transmit the color you want to remove.

In the general case where all the layers are refracting, you will end up with three "reflected" rays coming out the top surface, each with a different phase (which depends on how much of which material was traveled through). You need to express the phases of each ray in terms of the thicknesses of the materials they pas through (don't forget the phase shift, if any, on reflection)... tune the thicknesses so the phases sum to zero for the wavelength you want to remove.

Well done :)

1. What is thin-film optics?

Thin-film optics is a branch of optics that deals with the behavior and manipulation of light in thin layers or films of material. This includes the study of how light interacts with and passes through thin films, as well as the use of thin films to create optical devices and components.

2. How does incident white light produce color in thin-film optics?

Incident white light is composed of all the colors of the visible spectrum. When it passes through a thin film, some wavelengths will reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of the film, while others will travel through the film and reflect off the back surface. These reflections can interfere with each other, causing certain wavelengths to amplify and others to cancel out. The resulting color we see is determined by which wavelengths are amplified and which are canceled out.

3. What is the difference between thin-film interference and thin-film absorption?

Thin-film interference is the process by which light reflects and interferes with itself as it passes through a thin film. This results in the creation of colors. Thin-film absorption, on the other hand, is when light is absorbed by the material of the thin film, causing certain wavelengths to be absorbed and not reflected. This can also result in the creation of colors, but through a different mechanism.

4. Can thin-film optics be used to create specific colors?

Yes, thin-film optics can be used to create specific colors by controlling the thickness and composition of the thin film. By adjusting these parameters, the interference and absorption of certain wavelengths can be manipulated to produce the desired color. This is used in many applications, such as in the production of colored coatings and filters.

5. What are some common examples of thin-film optics in everyday life?

Thin-film optics can be found in many everyday objects, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and phone screens, polarizing filters on sunglasses and camera lenses, and the colors of soap bubbles and oil slicks. They are also used in more advanced technologies, such as in the creation of solar cells and in the production of computer chips.