Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about being a physics major

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    I recently got the idea of being a physics major. I was accepted for chemical engineering, but I'm not sure I want to concentrate on that just yet. I will be entering college in the fall.

I really love studying physics, even though I've never had an actual class on it. I read physics books in my free time (mostly without math, due to my level). I really like astronomy too...I would honestly enjoy my studies.

I chose engineering because I like math, physics, and chemistry a lot. It seemed like a great fit. But now I'm thinking that maybe I should just have fun in undergrad and be a physics or chemistry major and then go to grad school for engineering if I feel so compelled.

Thus, I'm wondering...is it better to study physics or engineering as an undergrad if I (as of right now) want to go into the field of engineering. If I decide I don't enjoy it as much as I thought, which would have the best back-up plan? (Probably still would go to grad school...maybe business, medical, or dental...)

I feel like this is the best time to get my studies straight, because I really don't want to change majors 5XX times if I can help it...

Also, any suggestions relating to either field would be welcomed :) .

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2
    I have also considered getting a major in physics and a minor in chemical engineering. Is this at all marketable? Say I wanted to work in industry for a year or so before grad school, could this combination land me a job? And since I've considered this combination, I've naturally considered the opposite as well, but I'm really leaning toward learning why things work completely, then in the continuation of my studies learning how things work and making them work.

Might I also add, I may be interested in astronautical engineering. A b.s. in physics could get me into this as a masters or phD program, right? What about if I had a b.s. in chemE but decided I wanted to switch to astro?

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    Well, if you join the Princeton review site, they let you see sample undergraduate curricula and descriptions of majors.

http://www.princetonreview.com/Majors.aspx?cip=400508&page=1"
    http://www.princetonreview.com/Majors.aspx?cip=140701&page=1"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook