1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Thinking of working towards being a Navy ME

1. Aug 18, 2016 #1
    I am thinking of (working towards) being a GSM in the Navy, I'm only starting highschool and love engineering. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2016 #2

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

That is a very good idea. Have you talked to a recruiter yet?

4. Aug 18, 2016 #3
    No, I didn't think I should until I am ready to start on their program

5. Aug 18, 2016 #4

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Still, it may benefit you to continue asking around and interview people that have been in the Navy, and especially about the career you are interested in. You may very well want to talk to a recruiter, there are different routes that you use to enter. They aren't going to hound you at your age and it could be a great resource. I have heard of recruiters being supportive for years before they join!

If you decide upon joining a military academy, you would need to start working towards that now, and not after high school! If you earn an undergraduate degree in engineering before joining, then you can enter the military at higher grade, I think. Going straight into the military may put you at an disadvantage when you return to civilian life, those skills you learn don't usually translate into a degree to use later! I do think it would be best for you to at least have a general associates degree before going straight into the military.

http://www.militaryspot.com/news/pros-and-cons-about-going-military-after-high-school

6. Aug 19, 2016 #5

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Depends. If you love engineering, then an enlisted job like GSM may not be the best choice for you. You'll be a technical worker, not an engineer. I would advise you to look at options for ROTC in college or if you're super ambitious then a service academy. However, I only encourage this if you want to merge your work with your love for the military/country. I spent 10 years in service, and it is a demanding job that few can handle for more than a few years. You have time, so take that time and do your research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted