Thinking on getting my a PhD in physics.

In summary, the individual is currently majoring in mechanical engineering and plans to pursue a master's in aerospace engineering after completing their major. They also have an interest in physics and are considering pursuing a major, master's, and PhD in the field. However, it is questioned if this is a wise decision as it may not be practical or useful in the job market. It is suggested to consider a minor in physics instead or to simply read books on the topic. It is also noted that obtaining multiple degrees in different fields may not be possible or practical.
boyongo
Hi, I am currently doing a major in mechanical engineering. I am starting my 3rd year now. After i finish my major I'm thinking of getting my masters in aerospace engineering. I think that is going to take me like 5 or 6 years till i finish both things. Afters my masters, I what to do a major, a masters and a PhD in physics.

How long will it take me to finish a phD in physics having the engineering background?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to get all of those degrees? No one job would require them all, or even use them all, so it's a waste of your time and the school's money. Try picking a field and sticking with it instead.

The physics ones are for self satisfaction. With engineering you don't get to learn all about quantum mechanics and stuff like that. Which is it easier to find a job? As a physicist or an engineer?

boyongo said:
The physics ones are for self satisfaction. With engineering you don't get to learn all about quantum mechanics and stuff like that. Which is it easier to find a job? As a physicist or an engineer?

An engineer but your idea sounds a bit crazy. If you get a phd in physics, you've pretty much thrown your engineering education away. You'll have been doing physics for a decade and probably forgotten everything about engineering in the meantime. No one does a physics PHD for self satisfaction.

Pengwuino: Thanks for your opinion. Just looking for different opinions to make my choice.

If it's just for self-satisfaction, why not do a physics minor? At my school, a minor is 10 physics courses, which allows you to get a good amount of physics in. If you're really into physics you could start right now and try to double major, and at least take advantage of the overlap between physics and engineering. I see no reason for you to do a masters or PhD in physics if it's just for self-satisfaction. A minor/major in physics will give you plenty of physics, and you'll save a heck of a lot of time and money by doing it that way. Do you really want to be in school for 15-20 years?

I have not EVER seen this work. Most schools will absolutely refuse to grant you a second bachelor's degree if you have one already and even those few that do, they will certainly not admit someone with a PhD in a related field. I don't know if you're fantasizing about being the science-equivalent of a Doctor-Ninja-Lawyer-Firefighter, but I can tell you that there is absolutely no way you're going to be an Engineer/Physicist with degrees from Harvard and MIT. I'm sorry to be tough about it, but there is a reason more people don't do double degrees and it's not because they're lazy or uninterested; it's because it's hard as hell and not really useful in the end.

Engineering is a far cry from physics at the graduate school level. You need quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, and analytical mechanics in addition to lab courses, math, and research to get into a decent grad school. You have none of these at the end of your aerospace degree that will transfer seamlessly, except perhaps some math.

MissSilvy said:
I have not EVER seen this work. Most schools will absolutely refuse to grant you a second bachelor's degree if you have one already and even those few that do, they will certainly not admit someone with a PhD in a related field. I don't know if you're fantasizing about being the science-equivalent of a Doctor-Ninja-Lawyer-Firefighter, but I can tell you that there is absolutely no way you're going to be an Engineer/Physicist with degrees from Harvard and MIT. I'm sorry to be tough about it, but there is a reason more people don't do double degrees and it's not because they're lazy or uninterested; it's because it's hard as hell and not really useful in the end.

However, if you have NOT completed your first BS, you CAN dual major; this is quite common. Once the first degree is granted though, you really are done with though as MissSilvy says.

Also, to add to what everyone is saying, getting a PhD in Physics is nothing anyone does basically 'for fun'. You're talking about 80 hour a week work for 6+ years.

Absolutely nothing to do with this threads subject, but I laughed from one of the comments and I can't hold myself from mentioning that I know a guy who is actually a Doctor-Ninja-Lawyer (not a firefighter though...).

He deals with medical negligence lawsuits and practised Ninjutsu for many years... :P
He also volunteers in the civil guards so he is a "law enforcer" or " Bringer of Jusice" in a way...

:rofl:

Last edited:
MissSilvy said:
I don't know if you're fantasizing about being the science-equivalent of a Doctor-Ninja-Lawyer-Firefighter

Actually, you can be the science-equivalent of Doctor-Ninja-Lawyer-Firefighter, but it's overkill to get multiple degrees for that.

You need quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, and analytical mechanics in addition to lab courses, math, and research to get into a decent grad school. You have none of these at the end of your aerospace degree that will transfer seamlessly, except perhaps some math.

And if you are interested in those topics, it's easier and cheaper to just buy books from Amazon. Something about physics graduate school is that after the first two years, you are going to be exclusively focused on one problem (i.e. your dissertation), so if you just are interested in learning QM, just take a course, and you are done.

What is a PhD in physics?

A PhD in physics is the highest level of education you can achieve in the field of physics. It is a research-based degree that requires you to conduct original research and make a significant contribution to the field.

What are the benefits of getting a PhD in physics?

Some potential benefits of getting a PhD in physics include increased job opportunities, higher salaries, and the opportunity to make significant contributions to the field through research. It also allows you to continue your education and pursue a career in academia.

What is the process for getting a PhD in physics?

The process for getting a PhD in physics typically involves completing coursework, passing qualifying exams, and conducting original research. This research is then presented in a thesis or dissertation, and defended in front of a committee of experts in the field.

What skills do you need to have to pursue a PhD in physics?

Some important skills for pursuing a PhD in physics include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and a passion for research. Good communication and time management skills are also important.

What career options are available with a PhD in physics?

A PhD in physics can lead to a variety of career options, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the university level, or working in scientific consulting or technical roles in various industries. Some may also choose to pursue careers in government or policy related to science and technology.