DevilsAvocado said:
This is your interpretation. I interpret Smolin as just basically saying that we have to choose between – based on empirical evidence and current knowledge – a world where a preferred notion of rest is possible, or there is no deeper level of description than statistical quantum mechanics.
Well you can choose to interpret those words he said that way, but others might not. The point is, had he said what you said, I'd have no objection, but he said what he said, and I voiced my objection. Clearly you have noticed the difference, as you needed to change his words when you inserted your interpretations. The issue here is the difference between us making "choices," which of course we must do to do science, versus scientists being "right" or "wrong." The "rightness" of science is advancing the progress of science, period, and they all did that. Was Ptolemy right or wrong? Some of both, of course, and the partition will always be a moving target. Was Copernicus right or wrong? Some of both, of course, and again that partition will always be a moving target. There's not a scorecard, there's the progress of science.
Note that this is Smolin's 'hypothesis' on current knowledge. He is of course smart enough to realize that this could be changed, tomorrow, in case of some bright genius presenting a new idea.
I am well aware that he probably knows that, the issue is what he said, and how people who do not know that can hear what he said. Ergo my point.
I don't think Smolin would ever talk about 'metaphysical eternal truths'... everything in his book points towards the opposite direction...
That doesn't surprise me, he is a deep thinker. All the same, his words were unfortunately chosen, and nothing you are saying speaks to that, indeed what you are saying here essentially
support that.
Who said I was judging Smolin? I spoke about a particular set of his words, and judged
them. I did read them first, and then I pointed out the unfortunate aspect of them. What Smolin says somewhere else is of zero relevance to my point.