This forum is great for the learner. What's in it for the mentors?

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
DaveE
Gold Member
Who puts frosting on a box?
In my experience that happens on the drive home from the bakery. Something about the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Or maybe my driving skills. IDK.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, Keith_McClary, berkeman and 1 other person
In my experience that happens on the drive home from the bakery. Something about the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Or maybe my driving skills. IDK.
No, it has to be a physical law. Similar to the Nutella theorem: There is no way to make a Nutella sandwich without getting it on the fingers.

Likes DaveE
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No, it has to be a physical law. Similar to the Nutella theorem: There is no way to make a Nutella sandwich without getting it on the fingers.
Something something magnetics, something something over-unity...

Nutella is a non-conservative force. It doesn't conserve clean surfaces.

Likes jack action and bhobba
DrGreg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nutella is a non-conservative force. It doesn't conserve clean surfaces.
On the other hand, strawberry conserve is conservative.

Likes 256bits, etotheipi and strangerep
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
strawberry conserve
I prefer the raspberry, blackberry, red and black currant, peach and apricot conserves.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What's in it for the mentors?
We do it for the satisfaction and camaraderie.

We also promote the scientific and evidentiary processes, objective and critical thinking, and good grammar.

Likes jbriggs444, BillTre and Tom.G
jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
We do it for the satisfaction and camaraderie.

We also promote the scientific and evidentiary processes, objective and critical thinking, and good grammar.
A good grammar is one who makes peach conserves.

• Sad
Likes hutchphd, Bystander and DrClaude
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A good grammar is one who makes peach conserves.
Me didn't never knows my grammar.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Me didn't never knows my grammar.
YOU'RE BUSTED !!!
grammar-police-badge.png

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, PeroK, Bystander and 2 others
Chandller
Gold Member
Along with helping countless students out and keeping people coming here so our like minds have a great place to congregate, I would think it allows the mentors an opportunity to, "Sharpen their various axes," so-to-speak.

P.S. Someone, henceforth, has to make a new Cupcake award. :-p

Last edited:
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Along with helping countless students out and keeping people coming here so our like minds have a great place to congregate, I would think it allows the mentors an opportunity to, "Sharpen their various axes," so-to-speak.
If you are implying (or saying directly) that you think the mentors have professional or scientific axes to grind, you are mistaken and seriously misunderstand the site. People are here to learn, not to attempt to force their point of view on others.

Likes symbolipoint
Chandller
Gold Member
If you are implying (or saying directly) that you think the mentors have professional or scientific axes to grind, you are mistaken and seriously misunderstand the site. People are here to learn, not to attempt to force their point of view on others.
phinds, a little jumpy there, my friend? That is neither what I am saying, nor implying, directly or otherwise. Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better. My analogy of, "Sharpen their various axes," was to express that it gives the mentors an opportunity to address and help students/learners with different areas of Mathematics, Physics, etc. and by doing so it makes them have to look back over topics they may have not covered over in a while, there by, keeping the various branches of their given subject , their "axes," sharp in their minds.

Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better. However, I prefer, axes. As the famous Paul Halmos said, when speaking on how to address Mathematics, "Don't just read it; Fight it!"

If I'm going into a fight, I'll go with the axe. :wink:

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
Chandller
Gold Member
phinds, a little jumpy there, my friend? That is neither what I am saying, nor implying, directly or otherwise. Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better. My analogy of, "Sharpen their various axes," was to express that it gives the mentors an opportunity to address and help students/learners with different areas of Mathematics, Physics, etc. and by doing so it makes them have to look back over topics they may have not covered over in a while, there by, keeping the various branches of their given subject (their "axes,) Sharp in their minds.
Further, why would I say that the Mentor's are, "Helping countless students out," in one breath and then suggesting and/or accusing them of having, "professional or scientific axes to grind," in another?

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I was wondering why "learned" people who have degrees in physics, mathematics, and other fields of science take the time to answer stranger's questions on the internet?
Confining questions you consider to questions that you yourself ask is, for most people, a significant limitation on the scope of thought.

Likes hutchphd
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
That is neither what I am saying, nor implying, directly or otherwise. Maybe, "Polish their various tools," would have been better.
Sounds like the whole thing hinges on usage / interpretation. I seem to have incorrectly interpreted "sharpening axes" as "axes to grind" which is not what you meant. Sorry.

Likes Chandller
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

Congregate? Not so sure. Just a way to think on and promote some academic knowledge and exercise writing and thinking skills. Unfortunately, no laboratory connected with the forum.

Cupcake? Now someone will supply his own laboraotry (a kitchen can be a laboratory, right?).

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member

Notice very well, said was "sharpen their various axes." We should not change that to "axes to grind" which although literally is the same thing more or less, it carries connotation of complaining or expressing frustration or irritation.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Notice very well, said was "sharpen their various axes." We should not change that to "axes to grind" which although literally is the same thing more or less, it carries connotation of complaining or expressing frustration or irritation.
Not in my experience. The phrase "axes to grind" means having an agenda to promote (and promoting it). I have never heard it used with the connotations you attribute to it.

Also, see post #66

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Not in my experience. The phrase "axes to grind" means having an agenda to promote (and promoting it). I have never heard it used with the connotations you attribute to it.

Also, see post #66
I have heard it used on rare occasions but never myself learned to use it. I did not fully enough understand it. For sure it ain't in my idiolect.

This article almost helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Miner

berkeman
Mentor
Fun thread, but we've drifted far from the OP question. Thanks everyone. :smile:

Likes PhDeezNutz and Chandller