This is a 3D model I made of the Edmund Fitzgerald great lakes ship

In summary, the Edmund Fitzgerald wreck happened during my first semester in graduate school at the U of Michigan. It was a major story in the Detroit newspapers and TV stations, right up there with Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance.
ElliotSmith
These are images of a 3D model I made of the legendary Edmund Fitzgerald, a great lakes bulk carrier ship, which famously sank in lake superior in 1975.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 255
Likes russ_watters, gleem, DennisN and 6 others
Science news on Phys.org
And to go along with your model

Likes Charles Link, ElliotSmith, Astronuc and 2 others
"Well, she was the pride of the American side..."

"The gales of November remember..."

Those 29 doomed mariners could never imagine their memory would live so long.

I found a 1988 rendition of his song by Gordon Lightfoot.
(search YouTube for "Gord's Gold Vol II" to acquire)

And an ethereal live folk version covered by Anna Coogan in this video.

@ElliotSmith I have a question. I've seen several renditions of things using what I believe is the same tool that you use and invariably they have lighting that always looks like the image is in a picture that was taken on an exceptionally overcast day. Is there something about the tool that prohibits realistic daytime lighting?

Likes Klystron
phinds said:
@ElliotSmith I have a question. I've seen several renditions of things using what I believe is the same tool that you use and invariably they have lighting that always looks like the image is in a picture that was taken on an exceptionally overcast day. Is there something about the tool that prohibits realistic daytime lighting?

Lake Superior is known to have very dreary weather with thick overcast or cloud cover.

I can change some of the settings to make it look like a sunny day.

Likes Charles Link
ElliotSmith said:
Lake Superior is known to have very dreary weather with thick overcast or cloud cover.

OK, that's reasonable. I just find it odd that all of the images I've seen have the same heavy overcast look. I thought perhaps it was an artifact of the particular tool.

ElliotSmith said:

That is a sunny day on Lake Superior!

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913 and phinds
Actually, a sunny day on Lake Superior can be rather nice.

LakeSuperior.jpg

This is at Whitefish Point, Michigan, where a lighthouse has been active since 1848. The steel tower and lightkeeper's house date to 1861.

WhitefishPoint.jpg

The light has been automated since 1971. The site how houses the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.

EdmundFitzgerald.jpg

The Edmund Fitzgerald wreck happened during my first semester in graduate school at the U of Michigan. It was a major story in the Detroit newspapers and TV stations, right up there with Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance.

(These pictures are from a trip through "da U.P." nearly 30 years later, in summer 2005.)

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
And long enough to be inducted into the "Ever Green Club" - by 17 metres.

(Suez canal: 205m; Edmund Fitzgerald: 222m)

1. What materials did you use to create the 3D model of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

I used a combination of computer software, such as CAD programs, and physical materials like plastic or foam to create the 3D model.

2. How accurate is your 3D model compared to the real Edmund Fitzgerald ship?

The accuracy of the 3D model depends on the level of detail and precision used during the creation process. However, I strive to make the model as accurate as possible by using reference materials and measurements of the real ship.

3. How long did it take you to make the 3D model?

The time it takes to create a 3D model can vary depending on the complexity and level of detail. It could take anywhere from a few days to several weeks or months to complete a 3D model of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

4. Can you explain the process of creating a 3D model in more detail?

Creating a 3D model involves using computer software to design and manipulate virtual objects and then using physical materials to bring the design to life. It requires a combination of technical skills, creativity, and attention to detail.

5. What inspired you to create a 3D model of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

I have always been fascinated by ships and their intricate designs. The Edmund Fitzgerald has a rich history and a unique structure, making it a perfect subject for a 3D model. I wanted to challenge myself and showcase the beauty of this iconic ship through my work.