Here is a 3D model I made of the Mir space station

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
ElliotSmith
Messages
167
Reaction score
104
This is a 3D model I made of the Mir space station.
 
Attachments
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 379
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 346
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff, DennisN, LCSphysicist and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Nice job!

How long did it take to get it right?

About three weeks.
 
Did you have actual dimensions or a blueprint to work with? or was a matter try this then try that until things fit together just right.

Decades ago, I attempted to draw a blueprint of the Federation star ship Enterprise. I tried to take measurement s off of still photos which required a lot of ratios and angle guessing.

In the end, I had a great plotting language for Calcomp plotters but no Enterprise. (I also had to work under the radar as bosses get upset if you use company property and company time to do government work (aka personal work)). Several folks started using my programming language to describe their mainframe computer floor layout and so for me it was somewhat of a success but my Star Trek poster had to wait.

As kids in the 1960's, another tool we'd use was an opaque projector that could take a photo and display it on the wall. We'd then hang up a large sheet of paper and trace the image onto it and ink it later on. I did a Robby the Robot print that way which I still have around somewhere.

But yours is so cool. Thanks for sharing.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
jedishrfu said:
I also had to work under the radar as bosses get upset if you use company property and company time to do government work (aka personal work)).
When I worked in R&D at Hewlett Packard back in the 1980s, they actually encouraged "g-jobs" (the personal projects you refer to), since they sometimes turned into successful project proposals. :smile:
 
ElliotSmith said:
This is a 3D model I made of the Mir space station.
I assume you used Blender. If so, which build?
I'm still using 2.78 due to my present computer's limitations*. However, the good news is that, after planting the seed for a while in my wife's mind that my computer is on its last legs, and finding a good deal, I have a new system on the way. :smile: It will be a significant upgrade to what I am presently using.* I'm not sure if it could even run the new builds, and even if it could, I likely wouldn't be able to properly take advantage of the newer features in them.
 
Very impressive! The second photo could have fooled me into believing it was real. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron