This isn't strictly math, but question about hedging investments

• Thread starter dmatador
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hedging one's investments and whether it can be a profitable strategy. It also touches on the role of uncertainty and the behavior of other investors in the market. The use of mathematics, specifically a Monte Carlo model, is suggested as a way to analyze the potential return of such a strategy. However, there is disagreement among the participants about the effectiveness of hedging and some tension arises due to differing opinions and assumptions.
dmatador
I hope someone will give me some of his/her time and help me understand this--and given the platform, I'd say the more math in your explanation the better. I am having some trouble understanding a particular type of hedging ones investments: say that company X is going down the tubes and you decide to short some bonds of company X. But, perhaps, to hedge your investment you also buy long some shares of company X. What is the benefit of doing this? My thinking is that you aren't really gaining anything, unless you pick a calculated time when the company is on the rise or continuing to fall and decide to drop the appropriate investment. Does this make sense to anyone? Please, spill your knowledge onto me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This tries to explain the situation based only on perceived and "actual" uncertainty. Suppose other investors overestimate their skill at predicting the direction of a particular stock and underestimate the uncertainty of the future price. Some recent authors claim this is true. Then in your example the stock will be sold for more than its actual value and the hedge for less than its actual value. If you believe that others are underestimating the uncertainty then you can profit on average from their mistake. Nassim Taleb in his book "Fooled by randomness: the hidden role of chance in life and in the markets" unfortunately includes not a hint of mathematics anywhere, but if you try to guess what he is not saying in the book then this strategy appears to be what he is doing. He describes buying options on both sides of a stock for somewhat extreme strike prices, these are deeply undervalued because he claims others in the market seriously underestimate the uncertainty, he never exercises most of these cheap options and thus throws away the price he paid for them, but he does exercise some of them and makes large profits overall. But once a strategy has been published I suspect that at least some have immediately begun to take advantage of this and diluted the potential profit.

Now put some mathematics into this. Built a little Monte Carlo model, choose the herd low value for uncertainty and a higher actual uncertainty, find some plausible way to price the stock and hedge, run the model a few thousand times and see whether you have a positive or negative return after your costs.

Caution: I know almost NOTHING about the stock market. My only exposure is a modest retirement fund from a company I once worked for. That company sold the fund to a management company. The management company was prosecuted for fraud and I believe the company that took over for them was also prosecuted for fraud. But I accepted that all that money would be stolen and I would never see a penny long before any of this happened.

Last edited:
I have sometimes, years ago, accidently wound up being both long and short on a stock. (This also depends on the broker some, it seems, are not supposed to allow this.)

There would almost never be a real good reason to do this. The simple fact that under the circumstances of 100 long and 100 short, the value of the stock does not change. The question of what to do now is quite speculative.

There would almost never be a real good reason to do this.
Completely untrue. The introduction of leverage makes hedging a great way to manage risk.

Go on...

G037H3 said:
Completely untrue. The introduction of leverage makes hedging a great way to manage risk.

You give me a time you'd want to be long and short on a stock, and I'll show you an equivalent position that costs less in broker fees. :tongue:

The last two posts come with the implication that the people behind them have some knowledge about the sort of stuff mentioned in my question. So, either you are not answering my question for some other reason, or you are just talking bull. In either case I am a little aggravated.

dmatador said:
The last two posts come with the implication that the people behind them have some knowledge about the sort of stuff mentioned in my question. So, either you are not answering my question for some other reason, or you are just talking bull. In either case I am a little aggravated.

I made over 10% annualized with options doing nothing when I was 18. o.o There are plenty of resources that discuss hedging. YOU seem to make a LOT of assumptions.

I am aware of the resources on the internet and elsewhere, but this is a somewhat more specific problem. Also, I enjoy reading the feedback of the smart and friendly people on PF, and I definitely prefer it over some boring online financial resource. Nevertheless, you seem to be unable to help me. And congratu****inlations on your financial success. I really really care.

1. What is hedging and why is it important in investments?

Hedging is the act of reducing or mitigating risk in an investment by using various strategies such as diversification, derivatives, or insurance. It is important because it helps investors minimize potential losses and protect their portfolio from unexpected market fluctuations.

2. What are some common hedging strategies used in investments?

Some common hedging strategies include diversification, options contracts, futures contracts, and short selling. These strategies allow investors to protect their investments from potential losses and manage risk in their portfolio.

3. How does hedging differ from speculation?

Hedging involves taking measures to reduce risk in an investment, while speculation involves taking on higher risk in the hopes of achieving higher returns. Hedging aims to protect against potential losses, while speculation seeks to profit from market fluctuations.

4. Is hedging always a guaranteed way to protect against losses in investments?

No, hedging is not a foolproof way to protect against losses in investments. It can help minimize risk, but it also comes with its own costs and limitations. Additionally, hedging strategies may not always be successful in mitigating risk in certain market conditions.

5. Are there any downsides to hedging in investments?

One potential downside of hedging is that it can limit potential gains in a portfolio. Additionally, hedging can also be complex and may require additional resources and expertise to implement effectively. It is important for investors to carefully consider the pros and cons of different hedging strategies before incorporating them into their investment plans.