This problem is FRUSTRATING me SO Much

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
In summary, the indefinite integral for x^2/(x-1) can be broken down into two separate integrals, (x+1) and 1/(x-1), which can then be simplified by using the difference of squares formula. Completing the square requires ensuring that the coefficient of the leading term is positive, and the end result should be 9-(x-3)^2.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

Find the indefinite integral...
X^2/ X-1

In my book they set it up as 2 separate integrals...
X+1 + 1/X-1

I figured they got that from long division but I am not getting that answer. So can someone please tell me how they got those 2 separate integrals

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\frac{x^2}{x-1}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{x^2-1+1}{x-1}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int\left[\frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x-1}+\frac{1}{x-1}\right]dx[/tex]

[tex]\int\left(x+1+\frac{1}{x-1}\right)dx[/tex]

Does this make a little more sense?

Last edited:
Yes it makes more sense but I just want to make sure I understand what you did..

In part B you completed the square...(But I thought it would be (X^2 + 1) - 1)

I did not complete the square, and plus, you do not have a linear factor - so you shouldn't even consider it.

[tex]x^2-1=(x+1)(x-1)=\mbox{Difference of Squares}[/tex]

Last edited:
Oh...I don't think we've used that before...I will have to look it up...thank you!

BuBbLeS01 said:
Oh...I don't think we've used that before...I will have to look it up...thank you!
BuBbLeS, you have used it plenty of times (you learn it in junior high or HS). You just forgot! No worries, go look it up and you'll be like oh yeah ... I remember that :p

I hope so lol!

I have another question on another problem...
I am trying to complete the square...

I have 6x - x^2
Then I did (6/2)^2 = 9
So I end up with (-x^2 + 6x + 9) - 9
I need to end up with 9 - (x - 3)^2
Can I make (-x^2 + 6x + 9) to (x^2 + 6x + 9) because the x is squared so it will be positive or is that negative mean like -(x^2)??
And (x - 3)^2 gets me x^2 - 6x + 9 so I am a little confused...

Before you complete the square, make sure that the coefficient of your leading term is a positive one.

[tex]6x-x^2[/tex]

[tex]-(x^2-6x+9-9)[/tex]

[tex]-(x^2-6x+9)+9[/tex]

[tex]9-(x-3)^2[/tex]

Ohhhh...thank you so much!

So you solved it, yes?

1. What is causing this problem to be so frustrating?

The root cause of this problem may vary, but it is often due to a lack of understanding or difficulty in finding a solution.

2. How can I overcome this frustrating problem?

The best way to overcome a frustrating problem is to approach it with a calm and logical mindset. Take a step back and analyze the problem, break it down into smaller parts, and try to find alternative solutions.

3. Is it normal to feel frustrated when faced with a problem?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel frustrated when facing a difficult problem. It is a natural response to a challenging situation, and it can even motivate us to find a solution.

4. How can I prevent myself from getting frustrated in the future?

One way to prevent frustration in the future is to develop problem-solving skills and to have a positive attitude towards challenges. It is also helpful to take breaks and ask for assistance when needed.

5. What can I do if the problem continues to frustrate me?

If the problem continues to frustrate you, it may be beneficial to seek help from a colleague or mentor. They may have a fresh perspective or offer helpful advice. It is also important to remember to take breaks and not let the frustration consume you.