This Projectile motion question seems flawed

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile motion problem where the X and Y velocities are independent and the X velocity is calculated using the given information of the total time in the air and horizontal displacement. The discussion then moves on to finding the initial vertical velocity, with the moderator suggesting the use of the vertical projectile motion equation and solving for the initial velocity using the quadratic formula. The conversation also discusses the importance of being consistent with the signs for all variables in the equations.
victorhugo
[moderator note: Thread moved from General Physics so no template shown]

QUESITONWEIRD.png

a) Considering X and Y velocities are independent of one another, simply getting the 300m it covered on the X axis and the total time it was in the air, 21.0s, it's easy to get an X velocity of 14.3 m/s to the right.

b) I HAVE NO IDEA. It is thrown up, reaches an unknown height with an unknown time and comes back down. By the time it reaches the 150m mark, it already has a significant vertical velocity.
The only thing we really have for this is the horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
victorhugo said:
The only thing we really have for this is the horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration.
There is more given.

A.T. said:
There is more given.
For the parabolic path above 150m, I honestly don't know what else you have. There is more for the total path, but I don't know anything we can use from that to get the initial vertical velocity.

victorhugo said:
I honestly don't know what else you have.
What info did you use for a) ?

A.T. said:
What info did you use for a) ?
Total time of flight (parabolic path time + downward time), and total horizontal displacement...?

Need to use vertical projectile motion equation.

Austin Z W said:
Need to use vertical projectile motion equation.
Why? Could you please explain the mathematical process?

Been a while since I took physics, but your initial height is 150m, time is 21s, and you need to solve for Vo. There are only 3 variables in that equation. Use quadratic formula to solve for t and plug everything in.

Sorry, don't solve for t. Solve for Vo. Duh me

y=1/2*a*t^2 + Vo*t + yo

Where:
y=height(vertical distance traveled)
t=time
a=acceleration due to gravity
Vo=initial velocity
yo=initial height

Solve equation for Vo and plug in your values.

Austin Z W said:
y=height(vertical distance traveled)
Austin Z W said:
yo=initial height
Either y is the vertical displacement (distance travelled, but paying attention to signs) and y0 is redundant, or y0 is initial height and y is final height (again, making sure sign usage is consistent: up must be positive for all displacements, velocities and accelerations, or down must be positive for all).

It doesn't matter which way is positive for you.

They are just variables, call them a, b, c, etc. if you want.
yo in this case would be your initial height, 150m in this case. You have to take into account the total flight time, which includes the 150m down from your initial height. Your ending y will be negative because you are throwing it off a cliff.

Austin Z W said:
It doesn't matter which way is positive for you
No, but I did not say it did. I wrote that you have to be consistent about which way is positive.

Positive could be down or up, but yes it must be consistent for everything.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that is commonly seen in objects that are thrown, kicked, or launched into the air.

Why does this projectile motion question seem flawed?

This projectile motion question may seem flawed because it may not provide enough information or may have incorrect assumptions that affect the accuracy of the answer.

Can you explain the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the trajectory and distance of the projectile.

How can I solve a projectile motion question?

To solve a projectile motion question, you need to break down the motion into its horizontal and vertical components, use equations of motion, and consider the factors that affect the motion. It is also helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the motion.

What is the difference between projectile motion and free-fall?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air, while free-fall refers to the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone. In projectile motion, the object has an initial horizontal velocity, while in free-fall, the object is dropped vertically with zero initial velocity.