This solution does not make sense to me (dynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of normal force and its relationship to the force exerted by a spring when depressed from equilibrium. The participants also discuss the minimum distance the spring must be depressed in order for the mass attached to it to separate from the pan. The final conclusion is that this minimum distance is equal to the equilibrium position of the spring, and any additional distance will also work.
Pascal1p

Homework Statement

5GBsGgp.png

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't worry it not a homework question of mine. I was just trying to solve some questions (on my own) that I know I have difficulty with to get better at it. Especially with springs I can get confused, so I thought I would try that.
With this question I got stuck and I know that it was because I set the unstretched length as when the spring went a distance 'd' back, but of course he is only at equilibrium then and not unstretched then.

But still I don't get the answer. They talk about that if y=d then N=0, but to me that does not seem right.
y(equilibrium) + d, is the position he would be at when you press it down measured from the unstretched position?
As I see it they saying, at the position the Block A is when it is being pushed down and released from rest, at that point there is no Fn working on it. Which would be silly.
N=0 should be the point when the string is in unstretched position, since at that moment Block A and Pan B should seperate? So N=0 when F(spring)= 0= k*s, so when s=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pascal1p said:
But still I don't get the answer. They talk about that if y=d then N=0, but to me that does not seem right.
y(equilibrium) + d, is the position he would be at when you press it down measured from the unstretched position?
I agree it is not well explained. Worse, it is wrong
If you depress the spring by distance d from equilibrium and release, it will oscillate equally about its equilibrium, so will rise distance d above equilibrium.
The mass will separate from the pan when its acceleration is g down (i.e. no normal force). At the instant this happens, the pan's acceleration must be the same, despite being attached to the spring. Hence, at this instant, there is also no force between the pan and the spring, i.e. the spring is at its unstretched length. But note that in that reasoning we have not specified how far the spring was pushed down initially. In other words, as long as you push it down far enough that spring reached its uncompressed length the block will separate from the pan at that instant.
The answer obtained above is only the minimum value for d; any larger value will also work.

haruspex said:
I agree it is not well explained. Worse, it is wrong
If you depress the spring by distance d from equilibrium and release, it will oscillate equally about its equilibrium, so will rise distance d above equilibrium.
The mass will separate from the pan when its acceleration is g down (i.e. no normal force). At the instant this happens, the pan's acceleration must be the same, despite being attached to the spring. Hence, at this instant, there is also no force between the pan and the spring, i.e. the spring is at its unstretched length. But note that in that reasoning we have not specified how far the spring was pushed down initially. In other words, as long as you push it down far enough that spring reached its uncompressed length the block will separate from the pan at that instant.
The answer obtained above is only the minimum value for d; any larger value will also work.

That minimum value of d, does it correspond with the answer they give?
I don't get that they do Fspring= k*(Yeq + Y) and then say if Y=d then N=0.
Because like you said N=0 is at unstretched position, so when Fspring= 0
Fspring = k*(Yeq+d) that corresponds to the springforce on the pan, when the pan is pushed down with 'distance' d?

Pascal1p said:
That minimum value of d, does it correspond with the answer they give?
I don't get that they do Fspring= k*(Yeq + Y) and then say if Y=d then N=0.
Because like you said N=0 is at unstretched position, so when Fspring= 0
Fspring = k*(Yeq+d) that corresponds to the springforce on the pan, when the pan is pushed down with 'distance' d?
Yes, the value they get is the amount it has to be depressed in order that it will bounce up to the relaxed height. This is very easy to calculate; they really made it harder than it is. We know the equilibrium position is d=total weight/k below the relaxed position. If depressed by y from equilibrium and released it will oscillate +/-y about equilibrium, so to oscillate up to relaxed position it must be depressed by the same d.

What does "dynamics" mean in this context?

In science, dynamics refers to the study of motion and the forces that cause it. It involves understanding how objects move and interact with each other.

Why does this solution not make sense to me?

There could be a variety of reasons why a solution does not make sense to you. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, errors in the solution, or a mismatch between the solution and the problem. It is important to carefully analyze the solution and seek clarification if needed.

How can I better understand this solution?

If the solution does not make sense to you, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller steps and try to understand each step individually. You can also try looking for additional resources or asking for help from a teacher or tutor.

Are there alternative solutions that may make more sense?

Yes, there may be multiple ways to approach a problem and find a solution. It is always a good idea to explore different approaches and see which one makes the most sense to you.

What should I do if I still don't understand the solution?

If you are still having trouble understanding the solution, don't hesitate to ask for help. You can seek guidance from a teacher, tutor, or a classmate who may be able to explain the solution in a different way that makes more sense to you.