Those California Earthquakes disrupted HF radio....

In summary, the conversation discusses a Canadian Ham operator who observed a 24-hour disturbance in HF propagation following the California earthquakes. Some speculate that this could be due to tidal forces affecting the properties of the ionosphere and causing earthquakes. However, others are skeptical and believe a more realistic mechanism needs to be hypothesized and tested. The conversation also mentions the correlation between ionospheric conditions and earthquakes, but emphasizes that correlation does not necessarily imply causation. The conversation concludes with a humorous comment about dead trees falling and smoke detector batteries failing.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Engineering news on Phys.org
HF propagation is known to have a daily cycle, yet the article gives only a 24 hour record, without showing the normal daily variation expected, or a comparison with the day before or after. Most experienced radio amateurs would expect that type of change in HF propagation on a summer afternoon.

There is a worldwide array of vertical ionospheric HF sounders, downward looking sounders, and a whole array of SuperDARN sites. Surely that data set would hold sufficient evidence to demonstrate a statistical correlation between ionospheric conditions and earthquakes, if it was present. Anecdotal stories do not increase the available data, they confuse it.

Obviously I am sceptical. Maybe my training as a geologist, or my experience running an ITU HF monitoring station has blinded me. To make it a science, some realistic mechanism needs to be hypothesised and tested. What might that mechanism be?

Likes russ_watters
The article says that the HF disturbance lasted 24 hours. That makes it even harder to imagine a mechanism.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
Yeah, this seems iffy to me too.

Likes davenn
Baluncore said:
Obviously I am sceptical. Maybe my training as a geologist, or my experience running an ITU HF monitoring station has blinded me. To make it a science, some realistic mechanism needs to be hypothesised and tested. What might that mechanism be?
Maybe all the SoCal HAMs jumped on the air at the same time, and were stepping on each other.

:smile:

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and anorlunda
berkeman said:
Maybe all the SoCal HAMs jumped on the air at the same time, and were stepping on each other.

Well, what do you expect when Californians are involved? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:

I was wondering how ten thousand radio transmitters perform while bouncing up and down and/or falling onto the floor. Clean signal?

Likes Klystron, Baluncore and nsaspook
There are the obvious sea tides, there are also Earth crust tides that we do not notice unless we use GPS or VLBI. There are tides in the atmosphere and also tidal variations in the ionosphere. I would expect an earthquake to be triggered by some event, I would expect that to include tidal forces. We might therefore expect the properties of the ionosphere to be very slightly correlated with earthquakes.

And I was wondering how much of the tidal energy went into disturbing the ground compared to an earthquake. The tidal energy would be distributed while the earthquake would be local.

So what electro/chemical/magnetic changes do we see near earthquakes? Does lightning strike more often near earthquakes? Do more people get asthma? Do more amateurs press the transmit button?

Baluncore said:
I would expect an earthquake to be triggered by some event, I would expect that to include tidal forces.
Can you explain why you think that?

Likes davenn
russ_watters said:
Because the cyclic tidal stress is added to the accumulating crustal stress. If the accumulating stress increases slowly each day, then the failure point will first be reached when the cycle of tidal stress approaches a maximum.

russ_watters said:
I think of dead trees as an analogy. When does a dead tree fall? It is more likely when the wind blows. As the strength of tree approaches zero, any perturbation can trigger the fall.

Sorry, I think I may have misread and misquoted, so let me try again:
Baluncore said:
There are the obvious sea tides, there are also Earth crust tides that we do not notice unless we use GPS or VLBI. There are tides in the atmosphere and also tidal variations in the ionosphere. I would expect an earthquake to be triggered by some event, I would expect that to include tidal forces. We might therefore expect the properties of the ionosphere to be very slightly correlated with earthquakes.
I do see how there should be correlation - and causation - between tides and earthquakes. Since tides also act on the atmosphere/ionosphere, the correlation would naturally connect earthquakes and radio -- but not the causation.

If I understand correctly now, then I agree.

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
When does a dead tree fall?

And your smoke detector battery fail.

BoB

Likes anorlunda

1. What caused the California earthquakes to disrupt HF radio?

The California earthquakes disrupted HF radio due to the intense shaking of the ground, which can damage or destroy radio equipment and infrastructure. The earthquakes also caused power outages, which can further impact radio communication.

2. How long did the disruption of HF radio last after the California earthquakes?

The duration of the disruption of HF radio varied depending on the extent of damage to the radio equipment and infrastructure. In some areas, it may have only lasted a few hours, while in others it could have taken days or even weeks to restore communication.

3. Can HF radio be used during or immediately after an earthquake in California?

It is not recommended to use HF radio during or immediately after an earthquake in California. The intense shaking and potential damage to equipment can make it unsafe and ineffective for communication. It is best to wait until after the earthquake has subsided and any necessary repairs have been made.

4. Is there a way to prevent HF radio disruption during earthquakes in California?

While it is not possible to completely prevent HF radio disruption during earthquakes in California, steps can be taken to minimize the impact. This includes regularly maintaining and updating radio equipment, having backup systems in place, and following safety protocols during earthquakes.

5. Are there any alternative forms of communication that are less likely to be disrupted by California earthquakes?

Yes, there are alternative forms of communication that are less likely to be disrupted by California earthquakes. These include satellite communication, landline phones, and internet-based communication methods. It is important to have multiple means of communication in case one is disrupted during an earthquake.