Three Blocks Two Pulleys and a Table

In summary, the conversation was about a problem on an exam involving a system of pulleys and blocks. The goal was to find the acceleration and time it takes for one of the blocks to reach the ground. The individual attempted to solve the problem by finding the net force acting on the block and using various equations. However, after reviewing their notes, they realized they may have made a mistake and asked for clarification. The expert then confirmed that the individual's initial understanding was correct and provided additional guidance on approaching the problem.
RJVoss
This was a problem on an exam I had the other day and I want to know if my attempt was correct.

Homework Statement

Please look at the attached image. You have a system of two ideal pulleys set up on a table. Block A is hanging from a string on the left side of the table which passes by a pulley connecting it to block B. Block B is resting on the table, and the kinetic coefficient of friction between the surface of the table and the block is 0.557. Block C is hanging from a string on the right side of the table which passes by a pulley and is attached to Block B. Block C is four times as massive as block A, and block B is three times as massive as block A. When the system is released from rest, block C accelerates downward until it reaches the floor, a distance of 105cm.

Find: The acceleration of block C and the time it takes to reach the ground.

Homework Equations

F=ma
FF=[tex]\mu[/tex]kN
y = y0 + v0yt + 1/2 at2
N = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to find the net force acting on block B in order to find the acceleration of the system. In this case,

Fnet= FC - (FA + FF)

so

Fnet= (4mAg) - 1mAg - ([tex]\mu[/tex]3mAg)

simplify

Fnet= 3mAg(1-[tex]\mu[/tex])

because mB=3mA you can rephrase the above equation

Fnet= mBg(1-[tex]\mu[/tex])

so the acceleration of block B would be g(1-[tex]\mu[/tex]), and plugging in the values I got the answer -4.34m/s2 rounded to three figures. This would also be the acceleration of block C.

Next I needed to find the time it took block C to hit the ground.

y = y0 + v0yt + 1/2 at2

so

y = 1/2 at2
t = sqrt(2y/a)
t = sqrt(2*-1.05m/-4.34m/s2)
t = 0.695s rounded to three figures

Did I do this problem correctly? And if not, can you please show me the correct way of doing a problem like this? Thanks.

Attachments

• pulley problem_edited-1.jpg
    pulley problem_edited-1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 565
Physics news on Phys.org
Now that I review my notes, I think I might have gotten this problem incorrect. Was I supposed to take the net force acting on block B and divide by the total mass of A + B + C to find the acceleration of the system?

It is better if you first draw the free-body diagram for all bodies, including the forces of tension in the ropes.

ehild

RJVoss said:
Now that I review my notes, I think I might have gotten this problem incorrect. Was I supposed to take the net force acting on block B and divide by the total mass of A + B + C to find the acceleration of the system?

what have you meant is correct.
To find the acceleration , you have to divide by total mass as they are all connected by a string, therefore sharing same a

1. What is the purpose of using three blocks, two pulleys, and a table in an experiment?

The purpose of using these materials is to create a simple machine system that can demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and force distribution. This system can be used to study concepts such as tension, friction, and acceleration.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage in this system?

The number of pulleys affects the mechanical advantage by increasing the amount of force that can be applied to lift an object. Each additional pulley in the system reduces the force needed to lift the object by half, resulting in a greater mechanical advantage.

3. Can this experiment be used to study the concept of work?

Yes, this experiment can be used to study the concept of work. Work is defined as the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved. In this experiment, the force applied to lift the object is multiplied by the distance the object is lifted, resulting in work being done.

4. How does the weight of the blocks and pulleys affect the results of the experiment?

The weight of the blocks and pulleys can affect the results of the experiment by adding an additional force to the system. This force can influence the acceleration and balance of the system, and may need to be taken into account when analyzing the results.

5. What are some real-life applications of the principles demonstrated in this experiment?

The principles demonstrated in this experiment have many real-life applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and other lifting machines. Understanding the concepts of mechanical advantage and force distribution is important in designing and using these types of machines effectively and safely.