Three conductors, how is the middle one affected

• Thread starter BadatPhysicsguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductors
In summary, we have three equally long conductors with equal distance between each and different currents. The force exerted by the middle conductor on the other two is the same as the force exerted by the other two on the middle one. Using the right hand rule, we can see that the middle conductor will be attracted to the right due to the double force exerted by the conductor to its right. Therefore, the answer is "it goes to the right".
BadatPhysicsguy

Homework Statement

YkgYU1I.png
We have three equally long conductors with equali distance between each. I have simply drawn it badly. The difference is their currents, they all go in the same direction. How is the middle one effected?

- It goes to the right
- It goes to the left
- It goes up from screen
- It goes down the screen
- Nothing happens

Homework Equations

B = k * (I/a) and F = I L B

The Attempt at a Solution

From the above equations we get the formula F = k * I(1) * I(2) * l (length) split by a (distance between two conductors).

What this means is that the force that the conductor with a current of 3A exerts on the middle one is the same as the middle conductor exerts on 3A. Through the use of the right hand rule (http://figures.boundless.com/14036/full/figure-23-04-01a.jpe) we'd see that the middle conductor and the conductor to the right are attracted and the left conductor and the middle conductor are also attracted.

Now, since the attraction to the right is double the size, that will surely overcome the one on the left and therefore the answer is "it goes to the right".

Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.
Conductors don't end somewhere, that would violate charge conservation (for continuous currents), but that is not relevant for the problem here.

1. How does the middle conductor affect the flow of electricity?

The middle conductor acts as a barrier between the two outer conductors, controlling the flow of electricity through the system. It can either enhance or hinder the flow depending on its material and placement.

2. Does the middle conductor have to be the same material as the outer conductors?

No, the middle conductor does not have to be the same material as the outer conductors. Different materials can have different effects on the flow of electricity and can be strategically chosen to achieve a specific result.

3. Can the middle conductor be removed without affecting the circuit?

It depends on the circuit design. In some cases, the middle conductor may play a critical role in the function of the circuit and removing it would disrupt the flow of electricity. In other cases, it may not have a significant impact.

4. How does the position of the middle conductor affect the circuit?

The position of the middle conductor can greatly impact the flow of electricity through the circuit. Placing it closer to one of the outer conductors can increase the flow in that direction, while placing it equidistant between the two can create a balanced flow.

5. Can the middle conductor be replaced with a different type of conductor?

Yes, the middle conductor can be replaced with a different type of conductor. As mentioned before, the material and placement of the middle conductor can greatly affect the flow of electricity, so replacing it with a different type can alter the circuit's behavior.