Electric field of a current carrying conductor along its sur

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an electric field along the surface of a cylindrical current carrying wire, with various attempts and theories being presented. The use and interpretation of Gauss Law is also discussed, with the conclusion that the electric field along the surface of the conductor is not necessarily zero. The conversation ends with the question still remaining about the existence of a non-zero electric field along the surface of a current carrying conductor.
fab123

Homework Statement

I am trying to figur out whether there is or isn t an Electric Field along the surface of a cylindrical current carrying wire With radius r and length L, current I and resistance R. I was trying to see if someone already asked this and i found one discussion, however where a Clear answer wasn't given, so i thought i d asked the same question (and something concering the question that confuses me).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought about using Gauss Law. Since the net charge of the current element would be zero, I d get that the flux through a surface of the same shape as the current element would be zero. Concluding that the E Field has to be zero along the surface would be false since zero flux doesn t imply e Field Equal to zero which got me thinking about how one would argue for that the e Field inside a conducting symmetric sphere With excess charge q, is zero by using gauss Law where one takes a concentric sphere With radius less than the actual sphere as a surface such that the enclosed charge would be zero. I remember that we did exactly this in class but thinking about using the same approach on a dipole would give a wrong result. For a dipole we have two point charges, q and -q apart a distance d. taking a closed surface enclosing both charges, we d get that the enclosed charge Equals zero, however the Electric Field inside the surface wouldn t have to be zero. Clearly there is something wrong in my argumentation regarding the use and interpretation of gauss Law.
Now, back to the actual problem:
I read about the following approach which argues for that there has to be a nonzero e Field along the surface, namely:
There is a current and a resistance, thus some sort of friction force that tries to slow Down the charged particles in motion. Assuming constant I, we have to have a force that opposed the friction force due to R, namely qE, where E is the e Field inside the conductor. Now, assuming the e Field i due to an electrostatic charge distribution, the e Field has to be purely conservative, meaning that the potential difference from a to b along the conductor has to be Equal to, say, V no matter what path we take (There is a nonzero potential difference since there is a resistance R). If we now take a path C1 to be a straight line from a to b an another path C2 that would start in a orthogonal to C1 until we Reach the surface of the conductor, then parallel to C1 and then, when we are "above" or "below" b, straight Down to b such that C2 would intersect C1 orthogonally. The first and the Third piece of C2 are orthogonal to the E Field inside the conductor, thus we get 0 from E dot dl, so the potential difference from a b along C1 has to Equal the potential difference from the parallel line along the surface. Thus the e Field along the surface has to be the same as the e Field inside the conductor.
Assuming we'd have a timevarying current, we d get an induced nonconversative e Field that would be orthogonal to the parallel line from a to be, thus we'd get the same answer, namely, that there has to be an e Field along the surface of the conductor.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think i just got the answer to the question regarding gauss Law, so the only thing i m still unsure about is whether there is a nonzero e Field along the surface of a current carrying conductor or not.

fab123 said:
Concluding that the E Field has to be zero along the surface would be false since zero flux doesn t imply e Field Equal to zero
Isn't that only because you might have chosen an area element with its normal orthogonal to the field?

1. What is an electric field of a current carrying conductor?

The electric field of a current carrying conductor refers to the region around the conductor where electric charges experience a force. This force can either attract or repel other charges.

2. How is the electric field of a current carrying conductor calculated?

The electric field of a current carrying conductor can be calculated using the formula E = I/2πr, where E is the electric field, I is the current flowing through the conductor, and r is the distance from the conductor.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the electric field of a conductor?

The direction of the current determines the direction of the electric field. The electric field lines will always point in the direction of the current flow.

4. What is the significance of the electric field of a current carrying conductor?

The electric field of a current carrying conductor plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of electric charges and their movement in the surrounding space. It also helps in understanding the concept of electrical potential and resistance.

5. How does the shape of the conductor affect its electric field?

The shape of the conductor can affect the strength and direction of the electric field. For example, a straight conductor will have a uniform electric field, while a curved conductor will have a non-uniform field with a stronger field at the curved ends.