Magnetic field from a conductor using Law of Biot-Savart

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Law of Biot-Savart to find the magnetic field at a point on an axis perpendicular to a straight conductor with electric current. The equation for the law is shown, and the attempt at a solution is outlined, including the use of coordinates and integration. The question of the origin of the coordinates and the value of dl is also raised.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

An electric current I flows in a straight conductor of length L. Use the law of
Biot-Savart to find the magnetic field at a point lying on an axis going through the
centre of the conductor and perpendicular to the conductor.

Homework Equations

Law of Biot-Savart: [itex] B=\frac{\mu _{0}}{4\pi }\int \frac{Idl \times \widehat{r}}{r^{2}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so this will be quite hard to explain my attempt so far without my diagram but here goes:
[itex] r=\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}} [/itex] where y is the height up the conductor (the 'position' of dl), x is the distance from the conductor along the x-axis

Let L go from -a to +a,
then [itex] B=\frac{I \mu _{0}}{4\pi }\int^{+a}_{-a} \frac{dl \times \widehat{r}}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{3/2}} [/itex]
which is the same as
[itex] B=\frac{I \mu _{0}}{4\pi }\int^{2a}_{0} \frac{dl \times \widehat{r}}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{3/2}} [/itex]

Then it's the whole dl x r bit that gets me. I'm sure I have to change this into dy, and then Iknow how to integrate that.

but I can't figure out how to bring dy into the equation :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the origin of your ##\left( x,y,z \right)## coordinates?

Last edited:
Isn't dl = jdy?

What is the Law of Biot-Savart?

The Law of Biot-Savart is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current in a conductor. It states that the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current and the length of the conductor, and inversely proportional to the distance from the point to the conductor.

How do you use the Law of Biot-Savart to calculate the magnetic field from a conductor?

To calculate the magnetic field from a conductor using the Law of Biot-Savart, you need to know the magnitude of the current, the length of the conductor, and the distance from the point to the conductor. Then, you can use the formula B = (μ₀/4π) * (I * dl x r)/r³, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the length of the conductor element, r is the distance from the point to the conductor, and x represents the vector cross product.

What is the direction of the magnetic field produced by a conductor using the Law of Biot-Savart?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by a conductor using the Law of Biot-Savart is given by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, the curl of your fingers will give you the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the difference between the magnetic field from a straight conductor and a circular conductor using the Law of Biot-Savart?

The magnetic field produced by a straight conductor using the Law of Biot-Savart is in the form of a cylindrical field, while the magnetic field produced by a circular conductor is in the form of a toroidal field. This means that the field lines around a straight conductor are parallel to each other, while the field lines around a circular conductor are concentric circles.

Can the Law of Biot-Savart be used to calculate the magnetic field from non-circular conductors?

Yes, the Law of Biot-Savart can be used to calculate the magnetic field from non-circular conductors, as long as the current is steady and the conductor has a defined shape and size. However, the calculations may be more complex and require integration or advanced mathematical techniques.