Magnetic field from a conductor using Law of Biot-Savart

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Jon.G
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electric current I flows in a straight conductor of length L. Use the law of
Biot-Savart to find the magnetic field at a point lying on an axis going through the
centre of the conductor and perpendicular to the conductor.

Homework Equations


Law of Biot-Savart: [itex]B=\frac{\mu _{0}}{4\pi }\int \frac{Idl \times \widehat{r}}{r^{2}}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


Ok so this will be quite hard to explain my attempt so far without my diagram but here goes:
[itex]r=\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}}[/itex] where y is the height up the conductor (the 'position' of dl), x is the distance from the conductor along the x-axis

Let L go from -a to +a,
then [itex]B=\frac{I \mu _{0}}{4\pi }\int^{+a}_{-a} \frac{dl \times \widehat{r}}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{3/2}}[/itex]
which is the same as
[itex]B=\frac{I \mu _{0}}{4\pi }\int^{2a}_{0} \frac{dl \times \widehat{r}}{(x^{2} + y^{2})^{3/2}}[/itex]

Then it's the whole dl x r bit that gets me. I'm sure I have to change this into dy, and then Iknow how to integrate that.

but I can't figure out how to bring dy into the equation :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the origin of your ##\left( x,y,z \right)## coordinates?
 
Last edited: