1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three-dimensional trigonometry question

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See the document attached as it contains a diagram

2. Relevant equations

cos(theta) = adjacent/hypotenuse, sin(theta) = opposite/hypotenuse, tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent

3. The attempt at a solution

See document attached

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

People who do not happen to have Microsoft Office cannot open your attachment.

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your drawing and work are incorrect. Here's a quick drawing I did using Whiteboard. I wrote an equation using the lengths I show on the right edge, which gives me an equation involving ##sin(\theta)## and ##cos(\theta)##. The tricky part, which leads to the answer you show, is to combine those two terms into the sine of a sum of two angles. I neglected to put in the width of the inner rectangle, which is 8.
    Snapshot.jpg

To add to what HallsOfIvy said, we ask that you not put your work into a proprietary file format. For one thing, some people don't have Word and can't see what you did. For another thing, posting an image of your work is also frowned on, as it makes it more difficult for people helping you to identify exactly where you have gone wrong.

The text in your Word document should have been posted directly in the page, and your sketch could have been uploaded separately, or you could use our new feature, Whiteboard, as I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted