Three forces applied to a trunk

In summary, the figure shows three forces applied to a trunk that moves leftward by 2.8 m over a frictionless floor. The force magnitudes are F1 = 5.5 N, F2 = 8.7 N, and F3 = 2.6 N, and the indicated angle is θ = 60°. During the displacement, the net work done on the trunk by the three applied forces, the gravitational force, and the normal force is 3.22 Joules. There is a net transfer of energy to the trunk. The kinetic energy of the trunk increases.
TS656577

Homework Statement

The figure shows three forces applied to a trunk that moves leftward by 2.8 m over a frictionless floor. The force magnitudes are F1 = 5.5 N, F2 = 8.7 N, and F3 = 2.6 N, and the indicated angle is θ = 60°. (a) During the displacement, what is the net work done on the trunk by the three applied forces, the gravitational force, and the normal force? (b) Is there a net transfer of energy to or from the trunk? (c) Does the kinetic energy of the trunk increase or decrease?

Homework Equations

W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Force 1 did 15.4 J of work (5.5 times 2.8) and I know that Force 2 did -12.18J of work (dotted line = 4.35 and 4.35 times 2.8= 12.18) Force 3 didnt do any work on the block. I don't know how to tie it all together
D

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't sufficient information, where is the angle 'theta' measured from for example? A diagram or further explanation would be helpful.

Last edited:
oops...forgot to upload the diagram!

Attachments

• q13.jpg
    q13.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 694
Okay, all your answers thus far are correct. For question (a) the net work done is simply the sum of all the work done by the individual forces. With respect to the work done by gravity and the normal force, you have to decide if there was any displacement that wasn't perpendicular to the direction of the normal force and the weight.

The solution to (b) follows directly from (a), positive work is energy in, negative work is energy out.

I'm sure you can figure out (c) yourself :smile:

The work due to normal force and gravitational force is 0. So is my answer 3.22

TS656577 said:
The work due to normal force and gravitational force is 0. So is my answer 3.22
3.22 Joules. Correct :approve:.

THANKS! and i got the last two!

TS656577 said:
THANKS! and i got the last two!
A pleasure, I hardly did any work :smile:

1. What are the three forces applied to a trunk?

The three forces applied to a trunk are tension, compression, and shear. These forces can act on a trunk from various sources, including wind, gravity, and human activities.

2. How does tension affect a trunk?

Tension is a force that pulls on the trunk, causing it to stretch. This force is commonly caused by strong winds or the weight of branches and leaves on the trunk. Tension can cause the trunk to bend or even snap in extreme cases.

3. What is the role of compression in a trunk?

Compression is a force that pushes down on the trunk, causing it to compress or shorten. This force is commonly caused by the weight of the trunk itself, as well as the weight of any structures or objects on top of it. Compression helps to support the trunk and keep it upright.

4. How does shear impact a trunk?

Shear is a force that acts parallel to the surface of the trunk, causing it to slide or tear. This force is commonly caused by strong winds or human activities such as pruning or cutting. Shear can weaken the trunk and make it more susceptible to damage.

5. What are some methods to protect a trunk from these forces?

To protect a trunk from these forces, it is important to regularly inspect the tree for any signs of damage or weakness. Pruning and trimming can also help to reduce the weight on the tree and minimize the effects of tension and compression. In areas with strong winds, supporting cables or braces can be installed to help distribute the forces evenly. When planting a new tree, it is important to choose a location with sufficient space for the tree to grow and develop a strong root system.