Three forces - in equilibrium or not?

In summary, the three forces in equilibrium are the applied force, the normal force, and the frictional force. To determine if these forces are in equilibrium, the principle of vector addition can be used. When the three forces are not in equilibrium, the object will experience a net force and accelerate according to Newton's Second Law. However, an object can still be in equilibrium while moving if the forces are balanced. The angle of the applied force does not affect equilibrium as long as the net force is zero.
shin777
Three forces -- in equilibrium or not?

Hi. I am new to physics and need some help on this question asap. Did I get it right or is it wrong? Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

332qd0k.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

You are correct. It's not in equilibrium left to right but your working should really include the equation that proves it. eg...

33Cos(30) - 20Cos(22) <> 0

1. What are the three forces in equilibrium?

The three forces in equilibrium refer to a system where the net force acting on an object is equal to zero. These forces are known as the applied force, the normal force, and the frictional force.

2. How can you determine if the three forces are in equilibrium?

To determine if the three forces are in equilibrium, you can use the principle of vector addition. If the sum of all three forces acting on an object is zero, then the forces are in equilibrium.

3. What happens when the three forces are not in equilibrium?

If the three forces are not in equilibrium, then the object will experience a net force and will accelerate in the direction of that force. This acceleration is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to the object's mass (Newton's Second Law).

4. Can the three forces still be in equilibrium if the object is moving?

Yes, an object can still be in equilibrium even if it is moving. This is because the forces acting on the object may be balanced in such a way that the object is moving at a constant velocity.

5. How does the angle of the applied force affect equilibrium?

The angle of the applied force does not affect equilibrium as long as the net force acting on the object is zero. The components of the applied force in the horizontal and vertical directions are what determine the equilibrium of the object.