Three problems of finding a base

• Thread starter colt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the student attempted to solve the system using row reduction and found that the correct answer was not (0,0,0,1), (1,0,1,0), (1,1,0,0).
colt

Homework Statement

Find The values of "Find the values of [itex] \upsilon[/itex] for which the homogeneous
system [itex](A - \upsilon I)X = 0[/itex] has non trivial solution e for these values of [itex]\upsilon[/itex],
find a base for the solution space from the system.
Which A being = [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the value of [itex] \upsilon[/itex] which it is 1. My problem it is to find the base. I don't know how to do it in this case. Normally I pick up the matrix and scale it until I can find linearly independent vectors, but in this case, using the given matrix above I don't reach the correct solution. Should I scale this matrix?
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
0 - \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 - \upsilon & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. I scaled the normal matrix A

The correct answer it is: [itex]{ (0,0,0,1),(1,0,1,0),(1,1,0,0) }[/itex]

Homework Statement

Be M = [itex]{ (3a + 4b - 4c, 2a -4b -6c, -2a -4b +2c) | a,b,c \epsilon R }[/itex] a subspace of R³

a)Find a set of generators to M
b)Find a base for M

Here another problem to find a base. I did part a) in which I found: [itex]{ (3,2,-2),(4,-4,-4),(-4,6,2) }[/itex]

Then I read the answer and saw [itex]{ (3,2,-2),(1,-1,-1),(-2,-3,1) }[/itex] Since the two last vectors that I found are multiple from these last two, I thought there would be no problem with my answer.

Then to solve part b) I picked up my vectors and scale them, trying to get the minimal amount of linearly independent vectors: [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
3 & 4 & -4 \\ 2 & -4 & -6 \\ -2 & -4 & 2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. In the end the result that I found is wrong, but fairly close to the correct answer. So I think I did something wrong when constructing the matrix, but maybe it was just
arithmetic errors. So if someone can confirm if this is the right way to solve the problem, if it is I can show the scaling in details

Homework Statement

Find an orthonormal base for the solution set of the linear homogeneous system:
[itex] x - y - 2z +w = 0[/itex]

I try to construct three base vectors like this: [itex] x = y + 2z - w[/itex] for [itex] y=1, z=0, w=0 [/itex].
Then do the same for [itex] y=0, z=1, w=0 [/itex]. And finally for [itex] y=0, z=0, w=1 [/itex].
After doing that I pick up three four dimensional vectors and check to see if they are orthogonal. I checked and saw that they aren't. Used orthogonal projection to construct an orthogonal vector to one of the original vectors and then normalized it...to see that it was wrong. So I ask: the procedure I did is right ? If it is I can put in details what I did. If not... what should I do?

Thanks for any input

Physics news on Phys.org
1)Row reduce (A-v)

The correct answer it is not: (0,0,0,1),(1,0,1,0),(1,1,0,0)

lurflurf said:
1)Row reduce (A-v)

The correct answer it is not: (0,0,0,1),(1,0,1,0),(1,1,0,0)

True I copied wrongly, it is (1,-2,1)

Anyway I am not being able to row reduce it. Here are my two attempts:

1°:
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & - \upsilon & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. L2 -> L2 + 3L1

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 - 3\upsilon & - \upsilon & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

2°: [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & - \upsilon & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. L2 -> L2 - \upsilon*L3

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & -3 -3\upsilon -\upsilon^2 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Then I don't know how to proceed in any of the cases

colt said:
True I copied wrongly, it is (1,-2,1)

Anyway I am not being able to row reduce it. Here are my two attempts:

1°:
[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & - \upsilon & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. L2 -> L2 + 3L1

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 - 3\upsilon & - \upsilon & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

2°: [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & - \upsilon & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. L2 -> L2 - \upsilon*L3

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
- \upsilon & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & -3 -3\upsilon -\upsilon^2 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 - \upsilon \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Then I don't know how to proceed in any of the cases

You said you had found the value of ##\upsilon=1## that will give you nontrivial solutions, presumably by solving the characteristic equation. So use it. Put ##\upsilon=1##.

What are the three problems of finding a base?

The three main problems of finding a base are determining the best location, ensuring the base's sustainability, and establishing a strong defense.

Why is determining the best location important?

The location of a base is crucial for its success. It should be strategically placed to provide access to resources, have a favorable climate, and be easily defensible.

How can the sustainability of a base be ensured?

Sustainability refers to the ability of a base to function and support its inhabitants for an extended period. To ensure sustainability, factors such as food, water, and energy sources must be considered, and plans for renewable resources must be implemented.

What are the key elements of a strong defense for a base?

A strong defense for a base includes physical barriers such as walls and fences, as well as the presence of trained security personnel and advanced technology for surveillance and protection.

How can scientific research aid in finding a suitable base location?

Scientific research can provide valuable information on factors such as climate patterns, availability of resources, and potential threats in a given area. This data can aid in the decision-making process for choosing the best location for a base.