Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three questions on injective functions.

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Q1. Claim: Suppose f : Rn -> Rm is injective. Then m >= n. Is this true?

Q2. Claim: Suppose f : Rn -> Rn is injective and f(X) = [f1(X) f2(X) ... fn(X)]T. Then each fk must be injective. Is this true?

Q3. I assume the above claims are known results or have known counterexamples. Can someone direct me to a good text or reference for questions such as these?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Space-filling curves should address #1.

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3
    A space-filling curve is everywhere self-intersecting, and therefore can't be injective (though they are surjective). However, your point is taken: by Cantor's theorem the cardinality of [0, 1] is the same as [0, 1]^n for any finite n. And a mapping f : A -> B where |A| = |B| can be injective.

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4
    All Rn's (n>0) have the same http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality" [Broken], hence there exist bijective maps between them.

Not sure if I understand you correctly. The identity map on R^2 is injective, but the components are the coordinate projections, which are not injective.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 27, 2009 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, sorry. I knew that they were all the same size, and I knew about space-filling curves, but I didn't check that they actually worked for the problem stated!

7. Feb 27, 2009 #6
    I think he means that if the infective mapping can be written in a form where the mapping for each component only depend on the value of that component, the mapping for each component is injective.

For such a statement the hypothesis is is difficult to satisfy because it almost looks like a one dimensional curve in an n dimensional space.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Feb 28, 2009 #7
    Your interpretation is correct. My original question was not stated clearly (should have used subscripts).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook