1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove injectivity of function.

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that f is injective.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]f:(- \infty, 3] \rightarrow [-7,\infty) \vert f(x) = x^2 -6x+2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I wish to prove this by calculus. I know that the maximum is three, and this is the only way the quadratic can be one-to-one. However; I'm having problems formalizing this into a proper proof.

This is what I have so far:

Definition of injective function: [itex]f(x_{2}) = f(x_{1}) \Rightarrow x_{2}=x_{1}[/itex]

[itex]f(x)' = 2x-6[/itex]

When [itex] f(x)' = 0, x=3 [/itex]

This is true, only if [itex](3, f(3))[/itex] is a maximum or a minimum.

In this case [itex](3,f(3))[/itex] is a minimum, and [itex]f(3) = -7.[/itex]

Since 3 is the only critical point, f(x) is always increasing when x < 3.

This implies injectivity, because ..... (how do I conclude this, it makes sense intuitively, but I don't know how to write it?)

------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I explain that since 3 is a minimum and also the only critical number, the function is injective upon these domain constraints? Must I use images and pre-images? Also I know there is certainly a way to prove this without calculus, since calculus isn't a pre-requisite for the course this is for, but I'd like to use differentiation, since I have the tool and it's the first thing I had thought of upon noting that this function is quadratic and the only way for it to be injective is if f(x)' = 0 when x=3 and that it is the only place where f(x)'=0. Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want a calculus argument, you have f'(x) = 2(x-3) < 0 if x < 3. That tells you the function is decreasing on that interval, hence injective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook