Three semesters of calc at my college = 2 semesters at MIT?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ascendant78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    College Mit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Ascendant78
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
Three semesters of calc at my college = 2 semesters at MIT?

I'm curious... at my college, I'm currently fulfilling my prerequisites for my AA with a physics major. For my state (Florida), the prereqs. for math include 3 calc courses, Calc I, Calc II, and Calc III (with ODE as a suggested but not required course). However, looking at MIT calculus courses for freshmen, they offer Single Variable Calculus and Multivariable Calculus courses that seem to cover all the same information. Each of ours earn you 4 credit hours, though I don't know what the two MIT courses earn.

So, does MIT cram more into the same credit hours, do they give more credit hours for each course, or is ours possibly more extensive? From what I skimmed over, it seems like their initial calc course covers both our Calc I and at least a decent portion of our Calc II materials, though I'm not sure to what extent. I'm just a bit concerned that I might be getting less out of my course hours after looking at theirs?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sigh..

Take it at your local state university and then compare.
 
Courses vary. Calculus is usually 2-4 semesters or 3-6 quarters. No matter where you take it some things will be skipped over. If you care about such things just learn the extra stuff. While there are differences much of the material is the same everywhere.
 
18.01 and 18.02 are 5-0-7's, which means there are 5 hours a week of lecture and recitation and 7 hours a week of homework. MIT awards 12 units (5+7) of credit, which is 1/30th of what is required to graduate. This would be about 4 hours.

You probably are getting less from your courses than MIT's. But I don't see there's much to be done about it.