Three slit minima and maxima and path differences

In summary, the interference pattern for three thin slits separated by a distance d and illuminated by a source of wavelength λ is shown to have maxima and minima.
nso09

Homework Statement

Find at which angles θ the interference picture that appears on a distant screen
made by three thin slits separated by distance d and enlightened by a source of wavelength λ (see figure)

a) Shows its maxima.
b) Shows its minima.
26Jlomz.png

multiple slit diffraction, d, ##\lambda##, ##\theta##

Homework Equations

$$dsin\theta=m\lambda$$
$$dsin\theta=(m\lambda)/3$$
$$E(t)=E_0cos(k(r_2-r_1)-\omega(t))$$
$$t=top,m=middle,b=bottom$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$E_t=E_0cos(k(r_t-r_b)-\omega(t))$$
$$E_m=E_0cos(k(r_t-r_m)-\omega(t))$$
$$E_b=E_0cos(-\omega(t))$$

However, the solutions gives me something like this.
Oz1l7od.png

My thought process was that the top ray travels the most or has the biggest path difference. I don't get why the solutions give me these equations. Or am I getting my path differences mixed up? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
nso09 said:

Homework Statement

Find at which angles θ the interference picture that appears on a distant screen
made by three thin slits separated by distance d and enlightened by a source of wavelength λ (see figure)

a) Shows its maxima.
b) Shows its minima.
26Jlomz.png

multiple slit diffraction, d, ##\lambda##, ##\theta##

Homework Equations

$$dsin\theta=m\lambda$$
$$dsin\theta=(m\lambda)/3$$
$$E(t)=E_0cos(k(r_2-r_1)-\omega(t))$$
$$t=top,m=middle,b=bottom$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$E_t=E_0cos(k(r_t-r_b)-\omega(t))$$
$$E_m=E_0cos(k(r_t-r_m)-\omega(t))$$
$$E_b=E_0cos(-\omega(t))$$

However, the solutions gives me something like this.
Oz1l7od.png

My thought process was that the top ray travels the most or has the biggest path difference. I don't get why the solutions give me these equations. Or am I getting my path differences mixed up? Thanks for the help.
I don't know how advanced your textbook is, but if you have the formula for the interference pattern for ## N ## slits (It works for any integer N that is 2 or greater): ## I(\theta)=I_o \frac{\sin^2(N \phi/2)}{\sin^2(\phi/2)} ## where ## \phi= (\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}) d \sin{\theta} ##, you can use it to solve for ## I(\theta) ## for the case where ## N=3 ##. ## \\ ## The zero's of the function ## I(\theta) ## occur when the numerator is equal to zero, except when the denominator is also zero. When the denominator is also zero, along with the numerator, you get a maximum and ## I(\theta_{max})=I_o N^2 ##.(You can take the limit where ## \theta ## approaches that angle. At that precise angle, the expression is undefined, but assumed to be the same value as the limit.) ## \\ ## I will let you try to work out this result assuming you are allowed to use this formula. It's a simple matter to determine the angles ## \theta ## for which the numerator and/or the denominator is equal to zero. ## \\ ## Note: If you wanted to work with sinusoidal ## E ## fields, instead of simply using the formula for ## I(\theta) ##, ## \phi ## would be the phase of the middle slit, with the top slit at zero (relative phase), and the bottom slit at ## 2 \phi ##. The algebra for the case of just 3 sources isn't terribly complex (using trigonometric identities to compute the sums, etc.), but it is really easier to just use the general formula given above.

Last edited:
Likes nso09
One additional comment is the formula for the intensity for N slits is derived by first summing sinusoidal E fields using complex variables (## exp(i \omega t) ## etc.,) and summing the geometric series. For N=2 and maybe for N=3, it is possible to do this calculation using ## cos( \omega t) ##, but for anything larger, it is much easier to do this calculation with complex variables.

1. What is the Three Slit Minima and Maxima phenomenon?

The Three Slit Minima and Maxima phenomenon is an optical phenomenon observed when light passes through three narrow slits. It results in a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes on a screen behind the slits.

2. What causes the Three Slit Minima and Maxima pattern?

The Three Slit Minima and Maxima pattern is caused by the interference of light waves passing through the three slits. This interference occurs when the waves overlap and either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in the observed pattern.

3. How does the path difference affect the Three Slit Minima and Maxima pattern?

The path difference refers to the difference in distance that light has to travel from each slit to a specific point on the screen. This difference affects the interference between the light waves and therefore, the intensity of the fringes in the Three Slit Minima and Maxima pattern.

4. What is the relationship between the slit width and the Three Slit Minima and Maxima pattern?

The width of the slits also affects the Three Slit Minima and Maxima pattern. A wider slit will result in a wider spacing of the fringes, while a narrower slit will result in a narrower spacing of the fringes. This is because the width of the slit affects the amount of diffraction that occurs.

5. How is the Three Slit Minima and Maxima phenomenon used in scientific research?

The Three Slit Minima and Maxima phenomenon is used in various experiments and studies to understand the nature of light and its behavior. It has also been used in the development of technologies such as interferometers and diffraction gratings, which have practical applications in fields such as astronomy and microscopy.