Relationship of slit, wavelength, and intensity

In summary, the question asks for which of the given wavelengths there will be no points in the diffraction pattern where the intensity is zero when coherent electromagnetic radiation is sent through a slit of width 0.01 mm. It is stated that if the slit width is less than the wavelength, there will be no points in the diffraction pattern where the intensity is zero. Therefore, for all three given wavelengths, since the slit width is less than the wavelength, there will be no points in the diffraction pattern where the intensity is zero.
nso09

Homework Statement

Coherent electromagnetic radiation is sent through a slit of width 0.01 mm. For which of
the following wavelengths will there be no points in the diffraction pattern where the intensity is zero?
A. Blue light of wavelength ##\lambda=500 nm##

B. Infrared light of wavelength ##\lambda=10.6 μm##

C. Ultraviolet light of wavelength ##\lambda=50 nm.##
##d=.01mm##

Homework Equations

##dsin\theta=m\lambda##
##dsin\theta=(m+.5)\lambda##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure exactly what the question is asking. What does it mean diffraction pattern? Is it just talking about the central maximum or the rest of the pattern where there are maxima and minima?
I assume this is a single slit so the minima would be where intensity is 0 so an equation that makes sense is ##dsin\theta=m\lambda##
I checked the solutions though and it said that
"If the slit width d is less than the wavelength, there are no points at the diffraction pattern at which the
intensity is zero." What does it mean that there are no points at the pattern where the intensity is 0? And why does d have to be less than the wavelength?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take your relevant equations and move the 'd' to the right hand side of them (so that the relationship between d and λ is clear). What does d being less than λ imply?

If d is less than ##\lambda##, then ##sin\theta\geq1##. So the domain doesn't fit ##sin\theta.## But how can I make use of the intensity since I don't have an angle to plug in ##I##=##I_0####((sin(\beta/2)/(\beta/2)##)^2 and set it equal to 0. Or is that the whole point? I don't have an angle so therefore, there are no points where intensity is 0? If so, what pattern are we talking about? The central maxima? I just need help visualizing what this whole pattern looks like.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

You've got the right idea. When the equations break down because there is no real solution for the angle then there will be no distinct minima. There may be a graduated continuum, but no locations where the intensity falls to zero.

gneill said:
Sorry for the delay in responding.

You've got the right idea. When the equations break down because there is no real solution for the angle then there will be no distinct minima. There may be a graduated continuum, but no locations where the intensity falls to zero.
Oh I see. So basically there is no point in the diffraction pattern where intensity is 0. The smallest intensity may be really tiny but never 0, therefore no waves will completely destructively interfere. Is that it?

Yes. That's it. The diffraction pattern disappears when d < λ.

Likes nso09

1. What is the relationship between slit width and diffraction pattern?

The relationship between slit width and diffraction pattern is that as the slit width decreases, the diffraction pattern becomes wider. This is because a narrower slit allows less light to pass through, causing the light to diffract more and create a wider pattern.

2. How does wavelength affect the diffraction pattern?

Wavelength plays a significant role in the diffraction pattern. As the wavelength of light decreases, the diffraction pattern becomes narrower. This is because shorter wavelengths have less diffraction than longer wavelengths, resulting in a more focused diffraction pattern.

3. What is the relationship between intensity and the diffraction pattern?

The relationship between intensity and the diffraction pattern is that as intensity increases, the diffraction pattern becomes more defined and concentrated. This is because higher intensity light creates a stronger diffraction effect, resulting in a more pronounced pattern.

4. How does changing the angle of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The angle of the slit has a direct impact on the diffraction pattern. As the angle of the slit increases, the diffraction pattern becomes wider. This is because a wider angle allows more light to pass through, resulting in a larger diffraction pattern.

5. What is the significance of the relationship between slit, wavelength, and intensity in understanding light behavior?

The relationship between slit, wavelength, and intensity is crucial in understanding the behavior of light. It helps scientists understand how light bends and spreads when passing through a narrow opening, and how different factors such as wavelength and intensity can affect this behavior. This knowledge is essential in various fields, such as optics and photonics, and has practical applications in designing and improving technologies that use light, such as cameras, microscopes, and lasers.