Throwing an object upwards and dropping it

• Thread starter Maxo
  • Start date
In summary: An object that is thrown horizontally has its velocity increased in the x-direction, while an object that is dropped has its velocity increased in the y-direction.
Maxo
Two objects with same mass. One is being thrown upwards, and the other one is dropped. Do they have the same speed when hitting ground? I think they have. Let's say the object being thrown upwards goes up 3 meters, then starts accelerating downwards. That will be the same as having dropped the object from 3 meters higher. So one object falls for 3 meters longer than the other. Then it must have more time to accelerate, and so it will have a greater velocity when reaching the ground.

Why is this not correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxo said:
Do they have the same speed when hitting ground? I think they have.

Why is this not correct?
You managed to explain why pretty clearly why this isn't the case.

I made a typo, I meant I don't think they have the same speed. But is that correct?

Maxo said:
Two objects with same mass. One is being thrown upwards, and the other one is dropped. Do they have the same speed when hitting ground? I think they have.
No,they don't.
Maxo said:
Let's say the object being thrown upwards goes up 3 meters, then starts accelerating downwards. That will be the same as having dropped the object from 3 meters higher. So one object falls for 3 meters longer than the other. Then it must have more time to accelerate, and so it will have a greater velocity when reaching the ground.

Why is this not correct?

This can also be explained using the conservation of energy.
We will throw and drop it at a height of ##h##
When you throw one of the object up,you give kinetic energy to it, increasing the total mechanical energy. Now it will have ##E=mgh+\frac{1}{2}mv^2## while the other object had ##mgh## only.
That means that when it hits the ground, the kinetic energy of obj 1 will be greater than that of obj 2

Edit: You guys beat me to it.

Likes 1 person
Maxo said:
Do they have the same speed when hitting ground? I think they have.
Why do you think that?

A ball thrown downwards at 10 meters/second will hit the ground with a higher velocity than will a ball that is simply dropped (zero initial velocity). What do you think the difference will be in impact velocity between a ball thrown upwards at 10 meters/second versus one thrown downwards at 10 meters/second?

Thanks. It's interesting to note that throwing an object up with a certain speed and throwing it downwards with the same speed will eventually hit the ground with the same speed.

Maxo said:
Thanks. It's interesting to note that throwing an object up with a certain speed and throwing it downwards with the same speed will eventually hit the ground with the same speed.

That can also be explained by the conservation of energy.
Throwing down at a speed ##v## at height ##h##: ##E_M=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+mgh##
Throwing up at that speed ##v## at that height ##h## : ##E_M=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+mgh##

I find it easier to use conservation of mechanical energy than using kinematic equations.

Likes 1 person
adjacent said:
I find it easier to use conservation of mechanical energy than using kinematic equations.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when using the conservation of mech energy principle in situations involving gravitation one must be careful at only looking at velocity in y-direction. So if there is velocity in x-direction it should not be included in the equation.

Maxo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when using the conservation of mech energy principle in situations involving gravitation one must be careful at only looking at velocity in y-direction. So if there is velocity in x-direction it should not be included in the equation.
I have only studied velocities in one direction only. So I use mech conservation all the time. :wink:

If you are considering a particle moving in two dimensions along some curve y(x), under the influence of gravity, then relative to a fixed Cartesian coordinate system the total energy is the sum of the particle's kinetic energy and potential energy. That is, $$E_T = \frac{m}{2}\left(\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2\right) + mg \,y(x).$$
Energy is additive, so you can simply add up the kinetic energy in each direction. Under the influence of only conservative forces, this quantity will be fixed, determined by the initial conditions of the particle.

CAF123 said:
If you are considering a particle moving in two dimensions along some curve y(x), under the influence of gravity, then relative to a fixed Cartesian coordinate system the total energy is the sum of the particle's kinetic energy and potential energy. That is, $$E_T = \frac{m}{2}\left(\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2\right) + mg \,y(x).$$
Energy is additive, so you can simply add up the kinetic energy in each direction. Under the influence of only conservative forces, this quantity will be fixed, determined by the initial conditions of the particle.

Wouldn't this give a different energy for an object being thrown horizontally (+x direction) than the same object being dropped? Yet these will have the same velocity when hitting the ground? How is that possible?

Maxo said:
You are wrong. (But since the x-component of velocity would not change, it doesn't matter.)

Maxo said:
Wouldn't this give a different energy for an object being thrown horizontally (+x direction) than the same object being dropped? Yet these will have the same velocity when hitting the ground? How is that possible?
Why do you think that an object thrown horizontally will have the same velocity upon hitting the ground as a dropped object?

Related Puzzle:

By accident you walk into an elevator shaft, with the elevator at rest somewhere far below you. Before you start to fall you have just enough time to push one of two buttons:
- UP will instantaneously make the elevator move up with a constant speed V
- DOWN will instantaneously make the elevator move down with a constant speed V
What do you do (to minimize your impact speed) ?

Assume no air resistance, and that when pressing DOWN you will reach the elevator before it reaches ground floor.

A.T. said:
Related Puzzle:

By accident you walk into an elevator shaft, with the elevator at rest somewhere far below you. Before you start to fall you have just enough time to push one of two buttons:
- UP will instantaneously make the elevator move up with a constant speed V
- DOWN will instantaneously make the elevator move down with a constant speed V
What do you do (to minimize your impact speed) ?

Assume no air resistance, and that when pressing DOWN you will reach the elevator before it reaches ground floor.

Nice one. :-)

1. What causes an object to fall back down to the ground after being thrown upwards?

The force of gravity is what causes an object to fall back down to the ground. This force is always acting on objects and pulls them towards the center of the Earth.

2. Does the mass of an object affect how high it will go when thrown upwards?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect how high it will go when thrown upwards. Objects with a larger mass will require more force to be thrown upwards and will not go as high as objects with a smaller mass.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object when thrown upwards?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object. When an object is thrown upwards, air resistance will slow it down and cause it to fall back down to the ground at a slower rate.

4. Can an object ever stop in mid-air when thrown upwards?

No, an object cannot stop in mid-air when thrown upwards. The force of gravity will always be acting on the object, causing it to eventually fall back down to the ground.

5. What is the relationship between the height an object is thrown and the time it takes to reach the ground?

The relationship between the height an object is thrown and the time it takes to reach the ground is described by the laws of motion and gravity. The higher an object is thrown, the longer it will take to reach the ground due to the force of gravity pulling it back down.