TI-84 Plus Silver: Finding the Zeros

In summary, when trying to find the zeros of a function on a TI-84 Plus Silver calculator, you will need to provide the left and right bounds as well as a guess. To do this, you can select a point to the left and right of the root on the graph and the calculator will hone in on the root and provide the answer.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

I'm trying to learn how to use my TI-84 Plus Silver calculator and I want to know how to find the zeros of a function, but the calculator asks me to find the left and right bounds along with a guess. What is it asking me to do here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been messing around with the calculator by doing random inputs honestly. No luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly, when looking at the graph, just pick an easy point that you can see that is to the left of the root. Again, pick a point on the graph that is to the right of the root. After that, it will hone in on the root and give you the answer.

gb7nash said:
If I remember correctly, when looking at the graph, just pick an easy point that you can see that is to the left of the root. Again, pick a point on the graph that is to the right of the root. After that, it will hone in on the root and give you the answer.

Thank you. I see what I did wrong, haha.

What is the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator?

The TI-84 Plus Silver is a graphing calculator commonly used in high school and college mathematics courses. It is manufactured by Texas Instruments and is an upgraded version of the TI-83 Plus calculator.

How do I find the zeros of a function on the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator?

To find the zeros, or x-intercepts, of a function on the TI-84 Plus Silver, you can use the "zero" function. First, enter the function into the calculator. Then, press the "2nd" button, followed by the "calc" button. Select "zero" and then press enter. The calculator will prompt you to enter a guess for the zero. Press enter again and the calculator will display the x-coordinate of the zero.

Can the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator find complex zeros?

Yes, the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator has the ability to find complex zeros of a function. To do this, you will need to enter the function into the calculator and then use the "2nd" and "i" buttons to input the imaginary number "i". The calculator will display the complex zeros in the form of a+bi, where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

What is the difference between a zero and a root on the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator?

On the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator, a zero and a root are essentially the same thing. They both refer to the x-intercepts of a function. However, a zero is typically used when discussing a polynomial function, while a root is used when discussing any type of function.

Can I find the zeros of a function using the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator without graphing it?

Yes, you can find the zeros of a function on the TI-84 Plus Silver calculator without graphing it. As mentioned before, you can use the "zero" function to find the zeros without graphing. This method is useful if the function has multiple zeros and you want to find all of them.