Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TI-84 Plus Calculator Cannot Perform Log Function (Err:Argument)

Tags:
  1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    Hello I have a TI-84 Plus calculator and during my math class we were doing log functions on the calculator and I was met with the err "Argument". I don't know what this means, but from what I've heard my calculator is missing the required software to run a log. I should clarify that when I say log I mean a problem that would be put into a calculator as "log(2, 4)" and it will come up with "ERR:ARGUMENT" rather than the answer of 2. Does anyone know how, or where I can go to get my calculator to work with the log function? I have a cable to connect it to my laptop if there is some program I must install on it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most calculator log functions take one argument, since 'log' is shorthand for Base-10 logarithms. What you are trying to do is find the logarithm of a number to a different base, I think. Check your calculator manual to see if the function you are trying to use is included in the calculator's capability. If it isn't, you may have to program the calculator.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Like most calculators it has a "log" button for logs to base 10, and a "ln" button for logs to base e (natural logs).

It is easy to calculate logs to any other base: ##\log_b x = \log x / \log b = \ln x / \ln b##.
    (You will probably learn formulas like that soon in your math class).

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Apr 4, 2014 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sort of thing gives people the wrong idea that you need to be a genius to do math or computer programming :biggrin:

The TI-83 method makes sense, though.

7. Apr 4, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sadly, people thinking log is a button on calculator, and not a function with well known properties, are in majority.

8. Apr 5, 2014 #7
    Thank you all very much for your responses, this formula is going to indeed come in handy. I guess the confusion I had was why certain calculators that were the same type as mine were capable of performing logs to a base other then 10 by inputting "Log(2, 4)" however it isn't too much of an issue now anyway, I'm just a curious person and I like to understand things like that :P

Anyways, thank you all for your responses and help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook