Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ti-84 Plus C Silver Edition vs Ti-Nspire CX

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering which calculator I should get. I'm planning on taking the ACT so I can't get (use) a Ti-89 titanium or a Ti-nspire CX CAS. I'll taking AP Chemistry, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Biology, AP Physics, and AP Computer Science.

Thank You!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What about the trusty TI-83?

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3
    I'd agree if you can't use an 89, an 83 is probably all you'll need.

I <3 my 89 though :D

5. Apr 29, 2015 #4

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider just buying a Ti-36 pro for the ACT exam, it will be all you need (probably ALL you will NEED ever), and get the calculator you want ie Ti-89 or whatever catches your fancy later as you learn more about the higher end calculators. I have an older calculator review that you could read about the calculators you are currently considering. It is a dated review, but compares the calculators you are considering.

http://www.rskey.org/DOCUMENTS/buyguide.pdf

It is older and doesn't cover high end apps that are now available for Androids or I-phones which tend to be very good and cheap! I do prefer a good calculator over an app, but a Ti-36 pro can fill that gap.

6. Apr 29, 2015 #5
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough but I was deciding between the Ti-84 Silver Edition C or the Ti-Nspire CX (NOT THE CAS). Or should I wait for the new Ti-84 CE? I have 3 years of high school left so I'll get a new calculator in college if I have to. And I was wondering how I should take care of the calculator once I get it (Screen protector, case, carrying case, etc?) Thank You!

7. Apr 30, 2015 #6

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you can wait, wait. If you can get by with a borrowed Ti-83/84 until the Ti-84CE becomes available, you should do so. It is a step up in hardware as it is faster and in a nicer, slimmer package. You will kick yourself if you buy now and see this unit later.

I will say that I like the Ti-84 over the Ti-Nspire for all types of number crunching. However, if you were to concentrate on math only, the Ti-Nspire seems to be a math teaching tool and could possibly be a better buy for a mathematics oriented curriculum.

8. Apr 30, 2015 #7
    Why do you like the Ti-84 better?

9. May 1, 2015 #8

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You could consider me "Old School", in that I like a pocket calculator. Notice I did suggest you consider a pocket calculator when you first asked, because I had mistakenly assumed you were a senior in HS (you did mention taking the ACT), and I figured you had no real need for a graphing calculator at that point.

If you have a real LOVE of math (and only a passing interest in the other sciences), the Ti-Nspire is a great math tool. However, if you need to crunch numbers and use the calculator to crunch out problems relating to real world math, a graphing (or any) calculator will provide you with a better number crunching interface and support your needs for advanced math functions ie you learn the math and then use the calculator to crank out the answers. The Ti-Nspire has a teaching type interface as well as the number crunching mode. I suggest you research a few you-tube videos to determine this subtle difference. The original Ti-Nspire used to offer a Ti-84 keypad to bridge this gap in differences, the new Color versions do not offer this, therefore, you will have no keystroke equivalent to the Ti-84 series to follow along in your classes. Probably not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Admittedly, your own needs might lead you to choose the Ti-Nspire, it is the more capable (powerful) device. But at the HS level, your teachers and other students are much more likely to have, use, and know the Ti-84 calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook