Ti-84 strange derrivative problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using a Ti-84 calculator to calculate derivatives of functions. It mentions that while the method works for most functions, there are discrepancies when using trigonometric functions such as cos(x) and sin(x). The example given shows that Y2 and Y3 should be the same, but they are not due to X being considered as a degree value instead of a radian value. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to check if the calculator is set to degrees or radians and noting that the results are not correct for X = 3.
Bassie
Hey there, I'm using a Ti-84 calculator to calculate derrivatives.
It goes like this:

Y1={the actual function}
Y2=nDeriv(Y1,X,X)

This seems to work, except for functions with cos(x), sin(x),..

Example:
Y1=X²
Y2=nDeriv(Y1,X,X)
Y3=2X

As Y3 represents the actual derrivative of Y1, Y2 and Y3 are the same.
But when I enter the following:

Y1=sin(X)
Y2=nDeriv(Y1,X,X)
Y3=cos(x)

As cos(x) is the derrivative of sin(x), Y2 and Y3 should be the same. But they aren't.
For X=3, I get:
Y1=0.258819045103
Y2=0.016858586
Y3=0.965925826289

Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

E: I think I found the solution myself. It seems that X was considered as a degree value instead of a radian value!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bassie said:
As cos(x) is the derrivative of sin(x), Y2 and Y3 should be the same. But they aren't.
For X=3, I get:
Y1=0.258819045103
Y2=0.016858586
Y3=0.965925826289

E: I think I found the solution myself. It seems that X was considered as a degree value instead of a radian value!
It is important to make sure whether you are working with degrees or radians. But the results are not correct. Y1 and Y3 are consistent with X = 15°, not 3.

1. What is a Ti-84 strange derivative problem?

A Ti-84 strange derivative problem is an issue that occurs when using the derivative function on the Ti-84 calculator. It results in a strange or unexpected answer that does not match the actual derivative of the given function.

2. Why does the Ti-84 calculator give a strange derivative?

The Ti-84 calculator uses numerical methods to approximate derivatives, which can sometimes lead to errors or strange results. This can happen when the function is too complex or when the calculator is not in the correct mode.

3. How can I fix a Ti-84 strange derivative problem?

There are a few steps you can take to try and fix a strange derivative problem on the Ti-84 calculator. First, make sure the calculator is in the correct mode (either radians or degrees). Then, check that the function you entered is correct and not too complex for the calculator to handle. You can also try using different methods to calculate the derivative, such as using the "dy/dx" button instead of the derivative function.

4. Can a Ti-84 strange derivative problem be avoided?

In some cases, a strange derivative problem on the Ti-84 calculator can be avoided by using a different method to calculate the derivative. You can also try simplifying the function before entering it into the calculator. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure the function is entered correctly before using the derivative function.

5. Is the Ti-84 strange derivative problem a common issue?

Yes, the Ti-84 strange derivative problem is a common issue that many users have experienced. This is because the calculator uses numerical methods to approximate derivatives, which can sometimes lead to errors or strange results. However, by following the steps mentioned above, you can avoid or fix this problem.