1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find region for which F(x,y) = (x+y)^2 is Lipschitz in y

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    As the title says, I need to find such a region.

Taking any x, and any y1 and y2 I used the expression |F(x,y1) - F(x,y2)| and plugged in the function respectively for y1 and y2.

Now I have to find values for x and y such that the following condition (Lipschitz condition) is satisfied:

| 2x + (y1 + y2) | 0 (indeed after having simplified out the previous expression w.r.t the Lipschitz condition)

My initial idea was to find x for which y = 0 and then the same thing for y1 and y2. This method though is not enough since for x = 0 the region of y1 and y2 for which the condition is satisfied, will have to depend on y1 and y2 directly. It will be better to attain a region such that it will not depend on the variables (obviously). I hope I am not incorrect here.

I cannot seem to find a way to get this region and I would very much appreciate any insight given.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

For each [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and each [itex]K > 0[/itex] there exists an interval [tex]L_K(x) = \left[-\tfrac12K - x,\tfrac12K - x\right][/tex] such that if [itex]y_1 \in L_K(x)[/itex] and [itex]y_2 \in L_K(x)[/itex] then [itex]|F(x,y_1) - F(x,y_2)| \leq K|y_1 - y_2|[/itex], so [itex]f_x : y \mapsto F(x,y)[/itex] is lipschitz with respect to [itex]y[/itex] with lipschitz constant [itex]K[/itex].

Note that you must fix [itex]x[/itex] and then determine the interval; if you want a region of the [itex](x,y)[/itex]-plane in which [itex]F[/itex] is lipschitz with respect to [itex]y[/itex] with constant [itex]K[/itex] then the condition is
    [tex]
    |F(x_1,y_1) - F(x_2,y_2)|
    = |x_1^2 - x_2^2 + 2x_1y_1 - 2x_2y_2 + y_1^2 - y_2^2| \leq K|y_1 - y_2|.
    [/tex]

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please post such questions in the homework forum in the future :smile: I'll move it to there now!

5. Apr 7, 2014 #4
    Shouldn't the interval not contain variables though, to have a definite region? I know you can choose any x and fix it, but it seems indefinite to me.

x should remain fixed instead of having x1 and x2, no? I am unsure how to attain values for both x and y such that the following inequality is satisfied:

| 2x + (y1 + y2) | <= K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted