1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI-89 graphing calculator for 124$

1. May 1, 2006 #1
    is that a good deal? Not even opened, its on clearence at a local walmart near my house.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not bad. I just googled "TI 89" and "sale" and see that Best Buy has them for $150. other stores seem to range from $140 to $170.

4. May 1, 2006 #3
    yah i was bargain hunting around also i saw the same range as you did, but walmart has like about 5-7 in stock, and i doubt it anyone will buy a TI-89, so should I just wait and check back every week to see if the price drops, or should just buy it right now?

5. May 4, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is 5 or 10 dollars worth the wait while also running the risk that they WILL be sold out? How badly do you want it?

6. May 7, 2006 #5
    i dont need it that badly, but eventually i will need it in the future, i went there to check they got the same quanity and the same price for it, im just going to check every week, meantime i can also save up money to get it

7. May 7, 2006 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't mention what you would be using the calculator for or what your needs are. A TI-89 could be overkill while a $14 TI-XII30 may be adequate.

8. May 7, 2006 #7
    well i'm a civil engineering major, and my uncle is an engineer also whenever he helps me out with tutoring he uses his ti-89 all the time and tells me to get it, cause i will need it eventually

and i already gota ti-83, but he reccommended me getting a ti-89 instead

9. May 7, 2006 #8
    The ti-89 is an amazing calculator but it does have a lot of features i can't see myself ever using. i paid $197CDN for mine, but i think it was worth it.

10. May 16, 2006 #9
    the TI-89's are nice, no doubt, but there's not a whole lot more they can do than the 83. i don't think it would be worth the money for the upgrade.

by 89 standards though, that is a pretty good price for a new one.

11. May 17, 2006 #10
    i am having one rite now.
    I bought it simply because my ti83 was broken 1 week b4 the AP test during my senior year. I passed so many tests with it. Though, i dont get to even touch it at all since that year............ It is because now my calculations are done on computer and can be done on computer/by hand only....lol

12. May 17, 2006 #11

dav2008

Gold Member

I would have to disagree.

They have a built-in solver. The pretty print makes it a lot easier to read expressions. From what I understand it's able to evaluate derivatives/integrals easier. The overall feel of the calculator is better.

Those are just the basics. There are plenty of other capabilities the 89 has that the 83+ lacks for things like matrices and beyond.

I used an 83+ and I used an 89 and I have to say it just makes sense to get the 89 right away instead of spending the money to upgrade later on.

13. May 17, 2006 #12
    hey guys thanks for the input, i really apreciate it, i bought the 89 today, i got it for 124 :smile:

14. May 18, 2006 #13
    ^ congrats

nice price too

Cowabunga!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?