TI-89 graphing calculator for 124$

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether or not it was a good deal to purchase a TI-89 calculator on clearance at a local Walmart. The participants discussed the prices at other stores and debated whether it was worth waiting for a potential price drop or just buying it now. They also discussed the features and potential uses for the calculator, with some recommending it for its capabilities and others stating that a cheaper calculator would suffice. Ultimately, one of the participants purchased the calculator for $124.
TMNT
is that a good deal? Not even opened, its on clearence at a local walmart near my house.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not bad. I just googled "TI 89" and "sale" and see that Best Buy has them for $150. other stores seem to range from $140 to $170.

HallsofIvy said:
Not bad. I just googled "TI 89" and "sale" and see that Best Buy has them for $150. other stores seem to range from $140 to $170.

yah i was bargain hunting around also i saw the same range as you did, but walmart has like about 5-7 in stock, and i doubt it anyone will buy a TI-89, so should I just wait and check back every week to see if the price drops, or should just buy it right now?

TMNT said:
yah i was bargain hunting around also i saw the same range as you did, but walmart has like about 5-7 in stock, and i doubt it anyone will buy a TI-89, so should I just wait and check back every week to see if the price drops, or should just buy it right now?

Is 5 or 10 dollars worth the wait while also running the risk that they WILL be sold out? How badly do you want it?

Tide said:
Is 5 or 10 dollars worth the wait while also running the risk that they WILL be sold out? How badly do you want it?

i don't need it that badly, but eventually i will need it in the future, i went there to check they got the same quantity and the same price for it, I am just going to check every week, meantime i can also save up money to get it

You didn't mention what you would be using the calculator for or what your needs are. A TI-89 could be overkill while a $14 TI-XII30 may be adequate.

Tide said:
You didn't mention what you would be using the calculator for or what your needs are. A TI-89 could be overkill while a $14 TI-XII30 may be adequate.

well I'm a civil engineering major, and my uncle is an engineer also whenever he helps me out with tutoring he uses his ti-89 all the time and tells me to get it, cause i will need it eventually

and i already gota ti-83, but he reccommended me getting a ti-89 instead

The ti-89 is an amazing calculator but it does have a lot of features i can't see myself ever using. i paid $197CDN for mine, but i think it was worth it.

TMNT said:
well I'm a civil engineering major, and my uncle is an engineer also whenever he helps me out with tutoring he uses his ti-89 all the time and tells me to get it, cause i will need it eventually

and i already gota ti-83, but he reccommended me getting a ti-89 instead
the TI-89's are nice, no doubt, but there's not a whole lot more they can do than the 83. i don't think it would be worth the money for the upgrade.

by 89 standards though, that is a pretty good price for a new one.

i am having one rite now.
I bought it simply because my ti83 was broken 1 week b4 the AP test during my senior year. I passed so many tests with it. Though, i don't get to even touch it at all since that year... It is because now my calculations are done on computer and can be done on computer/by hand only...lol

syko sykes said:
the TI-89's are nice, no doubt, but there's not a whole lot more they can do than the 83. i don't think it would be worth the money for the upgrade.

by 89 standards though, that is a pretty good price for a new one.
I would have to disagree.

They have a built-in solver. The pretty print makes it a lot easier to read expressions. From what I understand it's able to evaluate derivatives/integrals easier. The overall feel of the calculator is better.

Those are just the basics. There are plenty of other capabilities the 89 has that the 83+ lacks for things like matrices and beyond.

I used an 83+ and I used an 89 and I have to say it just makes sense to get the 89 right away instead of spending the money to upgrade later on.

hey guys thanks for the input, i really apreciate it, i bought the 89 today, i got it for 124 :smile:

^ congrats

nice price too

Cowabunga!

1. What is a TI-89 graphing calculator and why is it useful?

The TI-89 graphing calculator is a handheld device that allows users to perform various mathematical calculations and graphing functions. It is useful for students, engineers, and scientists as it can perform complex calculations, create graphs, and store equations for easy access.

2. How much does a TI-89 graphing calculator cost?

The average cost of a TI-89 graphing calculator is around $124. However, prices may vary depending on the retailer and any additional features or accessories included.

3. What are the key features of a TI-89 graphing calculator?

The TI-89 graphing calculator has a high-resolution screen, a QWERTY keyboard, and can perform functions such as calculus, statistics, and matrix operations. It also has the ability to store and retrieve equations and graphs, making it a versatile tool for various mathematical tasks.

4. Is the TI-89 graphing calculator allowed on standardized tests?

It depends on the specific test and testing guidelines. Generally, the TI-89 graphing calculator is allowed on most standardized tests, but it is always best to check with the testing organization beforehand.

5. Can the TI-89 graphing calculator be used in place of a computer?

The TI-89 graphing calculator has many functions that are similar to those of a computer, but it is not a substitute for a computer. It is a useful tool for performing calculations and graphing, but it cannot perform tasks such as word processing or internet browsing.