Tightening Your Budget in a Tight Economy

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Belt
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 5K views
We have had the smart cars in Canada for about 5 years now. I see more and more of them on the roads every month. They do seem to be alright in the snow as well, as i see them all over in the winter. I looked at a display of one cut apart a few years ago at the auto show, and they are no doubt one of the strongest designed cars ever built for road use. I have some pics somewhere i can link if anyone is interested. There is a youtube video of a smart car crashed into a jersey barrier at 60 mph. The passenger compartment was not impacted at all. Quite the little car.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cristo said:
Think gas is expensive in the US? Try living in Europe!

The difference is that you in Europe are already adjusted to expensive fuel with nice subways and small cars. In the US many people have huge gas guzzlers with no available public transportation.
 
What always makes me wonder is that we are all buying cars that are much stronger then we need. I have a car with 1.6L 100 HP engine; in my earlier experience 50 HP will be absolutely enough. That means substantially more mpg, this is simply energy conservation. Smarts are small, light, and sold (at least in Poland) with engines up to 98 HP. In a way it is an internal contradiction of the small, fuel effective car idea.

Problem is not in cars and their fuel efficiency, problem is in our heads.
 
Borek said:
What always makes me wonder is that we are all buying cars that are much stronger then we need. I have a car with 1.6L 100 HP engine; in my earlier experience 50 HP will be absolutely enough. That means substantially more mpg, this is simply energy conservation. Smarts are small, light, and sold (at least in Poland) with engines up to 98 HP. In a way it is an internal contradiction of the small, fuel effective car idea.

Problem is not in cars and their fuel efficiency, problem is in our heads.

I am a petrol head, i love going fast, but it is time to come down to Earth, i would happily drive an electric car, (just so long as i can keep my bikes for the occasional thrill), but they aint available at a reasonable price, manufacturers are going to scam us on what is basically a dressed up go cart.
 
Borek said:
What always makes me wonder is that we are all buying cars that are much stronger then we need. I have a car with 1.6L 100 HP engine; in my earlier experience 50 HP will be absolutely enough. That means substantially more mpg, this is simply energy conservation. Smarts are small, light, and sold (at least in Poland) with engines up to 98 HP. In a way it is an internal contradiction of the small, fuel effective car idea.

Problem is not in cars and their fuel efficiency, problem is in our heads.

Your 50 HP small cars also went with 700-800kg total weights. Nowadays that's 1000-1200kg, Now, remember Newton, force, mass and accelleration. Most of the additional weight is in safety features, a huge difference in survival chance nowadays. And whenever I climb that 20% slope, I know perfectly well why I need those 110HP.