Tilting the plates of a parallel plate capacitor (and other changes)

In summary: So I think the logarithmic solution won't be accurate for large angles.Anyway, I think we have exhausted our ability to help the OP.In summary, the conversation discusses the qualitative effects of different changes to a parallel-plate capacitor and the possibility of finding a quantitative solution. Possible approaches include modeling the plates as multiple parallel plates or using an integration approach. However, it is noted that the accuracy of these solutions may decrease as the angle between the plates increases.
guv
Homework Statement
You are given a parallel-plate capacitor with square plates of area A and separation d, in a vacuum. What is the qualitative effect of each of the following on its capacitance? (a) Double the area of one plate only, (b) Slide the plates parallel to each other so that the area of overlap is 50%. (c) Tilt one plate so that the separation remains d at one end but is ##\alpha d, 0 < \alpha < 1## at the other.

Is it possible to make quantitative calculation of the resulting capacitance in each case?
Relevant Equations
##C = \frac{\epsilon_0 A}{d}##
(a) (b) have intuitive solution but the asymmetry in (c) is confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
guv said:
(c) is confusing
Probably intentional. Make a wild guess: up, down, same ?

Sorry I should have made the discussion clearer. I am looking for possible quantitative solution. In the case of (c) it's qualitatively greater (editted), is it possible to calculate the new capacitance without doing numerical calculation?

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
They are moving the plates closer together...
There you go.

Last edited:
guv said:
I am looking for possible quantitative solution
You could try to make some assumptions about the electric field to set up a simple integral

Likes robphy
guv said:
possible quantitative solution
Might get some clues by modelling each plate as two or three plates, all parallel, but offset (so side by side) at different distances from the corresponding section of the other plate.
Code:
——-— +
     ———- +
          ———— +
          ———— -
Etc.
If the angle between the plates is shallow then, in this model, each plate is much broader than its distance from its opposite number, so effectively the model is several capacitors in parallel.

Last edited:
Or the plates can be thought of as a thin "pie slice" from an annular pie
If you "ignore fringing" you can maybe argue that the electric field between the plates will be circumferential (?). For constant potential difference this determines the charge (re)distribution on the plates, and allows a solution within this ansatz.

guv said:
Sorry I should have made the discussion clearer. I am looking for possible quantitative solution. In the case of (c) it's qualitatively greater (editted), is it possible to calculate the new capacitance without doing numerical calculation?
I think all the geometries assume no fringing effects. Your formula C = ##\epsilon##A/d makes that assumption.

By that token (a) and (b) should be obvious.
In (c) however, assuming the same absence of fringing effects, you can do an integration to find the resultant capacitance as suggested by @BvU in post 5..

Likes robphy
guv said:
Homework Statement:: You are given a parallel-plate capacitor with square plates of area A and separation d, in a vacuum. What is the qualitative effect of each of the following on its capacitance? (a) Double the area of one plate only, (b) Slide the plates parallel to each other so that the area of overlap is 50%. (c) Tilt one plate so that the separation remains d at one end but is αd,0<α<1 at the other.

Is it possible to make quantitative calculation of the resulting capacitance in each case?
Relevant Equations:: C=ϵ0Ad

(a) (b) have intuitive solution but the asymmetry in (c) is confusing.
Why is (c) confusing? One side of the plates is at the original distance d while the opposing side is at the lesser distance αd. Like: \ /. Top is d, bottom is αd.

rude man said:
Why is (c) confusing? One side of the plates is at the original distance d while the opposing side is at the lesser distance αd. Like: \ /. Top is d, bottom is αd.
See post #3.

BvU said:
You could try to make some assumptions about the electric field to set up a simple integral
Isn't it an assumption about the charge distribution that's needed? I appreciate that in a sense that is the same, but thinking in terms of charge seems simpler to me.

Likes BvU
haruspex said:
Might get some clues by modelling each plate as two or three plates, all parallel, but offset (so side by side) at different distances from the corresponding section of the other plate.
Code:
——-— +
     ———- +
          ———— +
          ———— -
Etc.
If the angle between the plates is shallow then, in this model, each plate is much broader than its distance from its opposite number, so effectively the model is several capacitors in parallel.
Very nice I can see how this will lead to a intuitive result. Thanks.

You know how in calculating areas under curves we consider a constant height for a distance ##(\Delta x\to 0)##? You can do the same for the tilted capacitor if you want to do some calculations.

archaic said:
You know how in calculating areas under curves we consider a constant height for a distance ##(\Delta x\to 0)##? You can do the same for the tilted capacitor if you want to do some calculations.
Without knowing the charge distribution?

haruspex said:
Without knowing the charge distribution?
Huh? His formula doesn't mention charges. I was thinking ##\epsilon_0L\int_0^\ell\frac{1}{d(x)}dx##.

archaic said:
Huh? His formula doesn't mention charges. I was thinking ##\epsilon_0L\int_0^\ell\frac{1}{d(x)}dx##.
Ok, you are suggesting the continuous version of my approximation in post #6. Probably where @guv is heading, based on post #12.
It isn't clear how accurate this is, though. As the angle increases, the charges within a plate interact more with each other. Hard to figure out the distribution now.

Likes archaic
haruspex said:
Ok, you are suggesting the continuous version of my approximation in post #6. Probably where @guv is heading, based on post #12.
It isn't clear how accurate this is, though. As the angle increases, the charges within a plate interact more with each other. Hard to figure out the distribution now.
I found someone linking to this in stackexchange. https://arxiv.org/abs/1208.2984
And this on google. https://riunet.upv.es/bitstream/han...llel thick-plate...pdf?isAllowed=y&sequence=1

Likes haruspex and BvU
archaic said:
Good tesearch!
Section 2 (inclined plates) of your second reference says:
To evaluate the capacitance of the ideal capacitor, the equation proposed by Y. Xiang can be directly used [11]. However, assuming zero thickness and neglecting the edge-effect, ideal analytical expressions are easily obtained [14]:

[14] J.L. Manglano de Mas, Lecciones de Física, Artes Gráficas Soler S.A., Valencia, Spain, 1995.

This implies the logarithmic solution does not depend on the angle being small. However, as the angle increases the edge effects will be more pronounced.

Likes archaic

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel plates separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between the plates.

2. How does tilting the plates affect a parallel plate capacitor?

Tilting the plates of a parallel plate capacitor changes the distance between the plates, which affects the capacitance of the capacitor. A larger distance between the plates decreases the capacitance, while a smaller distance increases the capacitance.

3. What other changes can affect a parallel plate capacitor?

Other changes that can affect a parallel plate capacitor include changing the area of the plates, the type of dielectric material used, and the voltage applied to the capacitor. These changes can alter the capacitance and the overall function of the capacitor.

4. How is the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. What are some practical applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors have many practical applications, including in electronic circuits, power factor correction, and energy storage. They are also commonly used in devices such as cameras, radios, and computers.