1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time average vs. phase space average

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a given total energy E0 compute and compare a time average and a phase space average of x2 for the harmonic oscillator. The one-dimensional Hamiltonian is

[tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{m\omega^2}{2}x^2 [/tex]

Reminder: the time average is defined as

[tex] \langle x^2\rangle =\frac{1}{t}\int_0^t x^2\tau\,d\tau [/tex]

we will be mostly interested in the long time limit. The phase space average is

[tex] \overline{x}^2=\frac{\int\delta (E_0-H)x^2\,dx\,dp}{\int\delta (E_0-H)\,dx\,dp} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution First, for the time average, all I can think of is that for a harmonic oscillator [tex] x = a\cos (\sqrt{k/m}t+\phi ) [/tex]. I can then substitute this in the given integral for time average, which I can then evaluate. The problem is that I don't know what a and [tex] \phi [/tex] are given the information in the problem.

Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    The amplitude a can be calclated since the energy E0 is given.
    The initial phase [tex] \phi [/tex] doesn't affect the average x2.

By the way, the definition of the time average has wrong dimension. Is it a typing error?
  4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I've now found out that [tex] E = (1/2)m\omega^2 A^2. [/tex]

Well, I've copied it exactly the way it shows up on the problem set, so maybe the professor made a typo?
  5. Jan 24, 2010 #4
    The common time average definition is:

<f(t)> = \frac{1}{t} \int_0^t f(\tau)\,d\tau.

May be the brackets around the [tex] \tau [/tex] are missed in your definition?
  6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    Okay, I see what you're saying; I agree it should be

[tex] \frac{1}{t}\int_0^t x^2(\tau)\,d\tau [/tex]

Thanks, I got it now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook