Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Time average vs. phase space average

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a given total energy E0 compute and compare a time average and a phase space average of x2 for the harmonic oscillator. The one-dimensional Hamiltonian is

[tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{m\omega^2}{2}x^2 [/tex]

Reminder: the time average is defined as

[tex] \langle x^2\rangle =\frac{1}{t}\int_0^t x^2\tau\,d\tau [/tex]

we will be mostly interested in the long time limit. The phase space average is

[tex] \overline{x}^2=\frac{\int\delta (E_0-H)x^2\,dx\,dp}{\int\delta (E_0-H)\,dx\,dp} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution First, for the time average, all I can think of is that for a harmonic oscillator [tex] x = a\cos (\sqrt{k/m}t+\phi ) [/tex]. I can then substitute this in the given integral for time average, which I can then evaluate. The problem is that I don't know what a and [tex] \phi [/tex] are given the information in the problem.

Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    The amplitude a can be calclated since the energy E0 is given.
    The initial phase [tex] \phi [/tex] doesn't affect the average x2.

By the way, the definition of the time average has wrong dimension. Is it a typing error?

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I've now found out that [tex] E = (1/2)m\omega^2 A^2. [/tex]

Well, I've copied it exactly the way it shows up on the problem set, so maybe the professor made a typo?

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4
    The common time average definition is:

[tex]
    <f(t)> = \frac{1}{t} \int_0^t f(\tau)\,d\tau.
    [/tex]

May be the brackets around the [tex] \tau [/tex] are missed in your definition?

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    Okay, I see what you're saying; I agree it should be

[tex] \frac{1}{t}\int_0^t x^2(\tau)\,d\tau [/tex]

Thanks, I got it now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook