Time average vs. phase space average

In summary, the problem involves computing and comparing the time average and phase space average of x2 for a harmonic oscillator, with a given one-dimensional Hamiltonian. The time average can be found by substituting the given x = a cos(√(k/m)t + φ) into the integral and solving. The amplitude a can be calculated using the given energy E0, and the initial phase φ does not affect the average. The definition of the time average may have a typo, as the common definition includes brackets around τ.
iomtt6076

Homework Statement

For a given total energy E0 compute and compare a time average and a phase space average of x2 for the harmonic oscillator. The one-dimensional Hamiltonian is

[tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{m\omega^2}{2}x^2 [/tex]

Reminder: the time average is defined as

[tex] \langle x^2\rangle =\frac{1}{t}\int_0^t x^2\tau\,d\tau [/tex]

we will be mostly interested in the long time limit. The phase space average is

[tex] \overline{x}^2=\frac{\int\delta (E_0-H)x^2\,dx\,dp}{\int\delta (E_0-H)\,dx\,dp} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, for the time average, all I can think of is that for a harmonic oscillator [tex] x = a\cos (\sqrt{k/m}t+\phi ) [/tex]. I can then substitute this in the given integral for time average, which I can then evaluate. The problem is that I don't know what a and [tex] \phi [/tex] are given the information in the problem.

Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amplitude a can be calclated since the energy E0 is given.
The initial phase [tex] \phi [/tex] doesn't affect the average x2.

By the way, the definition of the time average has wrong dimension. Is it a typing error?

Thank you for the reply.

Maxim Zh said:
The amplitude a can be calclated since the energy E0 is given.

Yes, I've now found out that [tex] E = (1/2)m\omega^2 A^2. [/tex]

Maxim Zh said:
By the way, the definition of the time average has wrong dimension. Is it a typing error?

Well, I've copied it exactly the way it shows up on the problem set, so maybe the professor made a typo?

The common time average definition is:

[tex]
<f(t)> = \frac{1}{t} \int_0^t f(\tau)\,d\tau.
[/tex]

May be the brackets around the [tex] \tau [/tex] are missed in your definition?

Okay, I see what you're saying; I agree it should be

[tex] \frac{1}{t}\int_0^t x^2(\tau)\,d\tau [/tex]

Thanks, I got it now.

1. What is the difference between time average and phase space average?

Time average refers to the average value of a physical quantity over a period of time, while phase space average refers to the average value of a quantity over all possible states of a system in a given phase space.

2. How are time average and phase space average related?

Time average and phase space average are related through the ergodic hypothesis, which states that the time average of a system is equal to its phase space average.

3. Can a system have different time average and phase space average?

Yes, a system can have different time average and phase space average if the system does not satisfy the ergodic hypothesis.

4. When is it appropriate to use time average and phase space average?

Time average is used when studying the behavior of a system over a certain period of time, while phase space average is more useful for studying the long-term behavior of a system.

5. How do time average and phase space average affect the accuracy of measurements?

Time average and phase space average can affect the accuracy of measurements if the system does not satisfy the ergodic hypothesis. In this case, the measured values may not accurately represent the true average of the system.