Time dependence of the Ratio Hubble length to scale factor

In summary: If the current accelerated expansion is described by a cosmological constant, then it will asymptotically approach exponential expansion.Thanks for the clarification.
timmdeeg
Gold Member
Let's assume a universe like ours which after inflation expands decelerated and accelerated thereafter.
How will the ratio Hubble length ##1/H## to scalefactor ##a## evolve over time? And how could one calculate the time dependence of this ratio.
Any help appreciated.

Space news on Phys.org
timmdeeg said:
Let's assume a universe like ours which after inflation expands decelerated and accelerated thereafter.
How will the ratio Hubble length ##1/H## to scalefactor ##a## evolve over time? And how could one calculate the time dependence of this ratio.
The standard Friedmann equation for H(a) gives this relationship directly and it looks like this:
upload_2015-11-11_18-19-27.png

To find the relationship against time, you will have to integrate H(a) over time.

If you are prepared to ignore radiation density, you can use Marcus' "Hypersine model" to simplfy calculations.

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
Any help appreciated.
What is the point of this ratio?

Jorrie said:
The standard Friedmann equation for H(a) gives this relationship directly and it looks like this:
View attachment 91691.

To find the relationship against time, you will have to integrate H(a) over time.

If you are prepared to ignore radiation density, you can use Marcus' "Hypersine model" to simplfy calculations.
Thanks. I will try to learn to use your calculator.

The ratio I'm asking for is ##1/Ha##. Replacing ##H## by ##(da/dt)/a## yields ##1/(da/dt)##. Therefore ##1/Ha## should increase as long as the universe expands decelerated and decrease during accelerated expansion then. Kindly correct.

Chalnoth said:
What is the point of this ratio?
During Inflation the scalefactor grows exponentially and thus much faster than the Hubble length, being almost constant, which solves the horizon problem. I'm interested to learn how that evolves in case the universe expands accelerated (but not exponentially).

timmdeeg said:
During Inflation the scalefactor grows exponentially and thus much faster than the Hubble length, being almost constant, which solves the horizon problem. I'm interested to learn how that evolves in case the universe expands accelerated (but not exponentially).
Yes, I think this would be the case. The LightCone calculator actually provides the inverse of the function that you are looking for; it is labeled Vgen, representing the recession speed history of a 'generic galaxy' that presently happens to be on our Hubble sphere, where the recession speed equals c.
file.php?id=4226&t=1.png

The red curve Vgen/c is the product of the gold curve (H/H0) and the blue curve a(t). The minimum point is at about 7.5 Gy, where the expansion goes from decelerating to accelerating. As I said before: "If you are prepared to ignore radiation density, you can use Marcus' "Hypersine model" to simplfy calculations."

Last edited:
Likes timmdeeg
timmdeeg said:
Well, what growth rate are you thinking of if not exponential?

If the current accelerated expansion is described by a cosmological constant, then it will asymptotically approach exponential expansion.

Jorrie said:
Yes, I think this would be the case. The LightCone calculator actually provides the inverse of the function that you are looking for; it is labeled Vgen, representing the recession speed history of a 'generic galaxy' that presently happens to be on our Hubble sphere, where the recession speed equals c.
file.php?id=4226&t=1.png

The red curve Vgen/c is the product of the gold curve (H/H0) and the blue curve a(t). The minimum point is at about 7.5 Gy, where the expansion goes from decelerating to accelerating. As I said before: "If you are prepared to ignore radiation density, you can use Marcus' "Hypersine model" to simplfy calculations."
It's impressing that the Cosmological Calculator can deal with products of curves. Thanks for the advise to use Marcus' "Hypersine model".

The inflection point (hopefully this is the right expression) of the blue curve seems to coincide with the minimum of the red curve, as it should.

Thanks for helping.

Chalnoth said:
Well, what growth rate are you thinking of if not exponential?
Sorry, it was misleading to mention inflation. If the scale factor grows faster than the Hubble length, then far away galaxies will become invisible (causally disconnected) over time. I wasn't really sure regarding the criterion for that. But that has been clarified.

timmdeeg said:
It's impressing that the Cosmological Calculator can deal with products of curves.
The LightCone calculator does not generally handle products of curves, it is just that some are built in, because they are very useful. There is limit on how many is possible in such a calculator.

What I do if I need more such functionality is to use the tabular "Office" output with an increased number of steps and then paste it into a spreadsheet or similar. Further manipulation and/or and graphing is more feasible there.

Just probing the time dependence of ##aH## another way: At ##t=0##, the very beginning of decelerated expansion (after inflation has ended) some comoving observers shall have distances to each other such that their Hubble spheres just don't overlap. Then these spheres should start to overlap increasingly until deceleration switches to acceleration. From this time on the overlapping areas should shrink to zero a certain time ##t## later. If correct, how would one calculate this time ##t##?
Later said observers are causally disconnected forever.
Its my best guess, thanks for commenting.

timmdeeg said:
Then these spheres should start to overlap increasingly until deceleration switches to acceleration. From this time on the overlapping areas should shrink to zero a certain time tt later. If correct, how would one calculate this time tt?
It is not very clear what time you are referring to, but it is possible to calculate the Hubble radius and the cosmological event horizon distance. LightCone7 does both and they compare as follows:
upload_2015-11-12_22-1-7.png

The model used is in the link at the bottom of the LightCone page. Maybe this will help you decide on which integration function you need.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-12_21-57-58.png
    upload_2015-11-12_21-57-58.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 417
Jorrie said:
It is not very clear what time you are referring to, but it is possible to calculate the Hubble radius and the cosmological event horizon distance.
Its interesting, but I was looking for the comparison of the Hubble radius (blue curve in 12#) with a (blue curve in #6). Is that possible? Otherwise I can put the 2 diagrams together.

Yes, it is possible, but with the standard Lightcone 7, the two vertical scales are quite different and the comparison does not mean much. However Lightcone 7z (both links in my sig) gives compatible values on the normalized 'zeit scale'. Give it a try.

Jorrie said:
Yes, it is possible, but with the standard Lightcone 7, the two vertical scales are quite different and the comparison does not mean much. However Lightcone 7z (both links in my sig) gives compatible values on the normalized 'zeit scale'. Give it a try.
I will. Jorrie, you have been very helpful, thanks.

What is the Hubble length and scale factor?

The Hubble length is a measure of the size of the observable universe, while the scale factor is a measure of the expansion of the universe over time.

Why is the ratio of the Hubble length to scale factor important?

This ratio helps scientists understand how the expansion rate of the universe has changed over time, and provides insights into the nature of dark energy and the fate of the universe.

How does the ratio of the Hubble length to scale factor change over time?

As the universe expands, the Hubble length increases while the scale factor also increases. However, the rate of increase for the Hubble length is slower than the rate of increase for the scale factor, resulting in a decreasing ratio over time.

How is the Hubble length to scale factor ratio calculated?

The Hubble length to scale factor ratio is calculated using the Hubble constant and the age of the universe. The Hubble constant is a measure of the current expansion rate of the universe, while the age of the universe is the time since the Big Bang.

What can the ratio of the Hubble length to scale factor tell us about the early universe?

By studying the evolution of this ratio over time, scientists can gain insights into the early universe and how it has changed over billions of years. It also provides clues about the energy and matter content of the universe during different stages of its expansion.