1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependent quantum state probability calculation

1. May 27, 2014 #1
    For part a I have (H0-ω[itex]\hbar[/itex]m)|nlm>, which I think the (H0-ω[itex]\hbar[/itex]m) part is the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian, also is the energies?

And mainly, I am not sure how to approach part b, the time variable is not in any of the states. I saw this in our lecture notes: ψ(r,t)=∑Cnψn(r) e-iEnt/[itex]\hbar[/itex]. Do I simply add the e-iEnt/[itex]\hbar[/itex] term after each ψ state? And then what? Please help me with this, thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

##H_0## is the Hamiltonian for the hydrogen atom in the absence of the external magnetic field. You should be able to find its eigenvalues.

Basically, yes. The time evolution of a state ##\psi## (with a time-independent Hamiltonian ##H##) is given by
    $$
    \psi(t) = e^{-i H t / \hbar} \psi(0)
    $$
    For ##\phi_n## and eigenstate of ##H## with eigenvalue ##E_n##,
    $$
    e^{-i H t / \hbar} \phi_n = e^{-i E_n t / \hbar} \phi_n
    $$
    Therefore, if ##\psi## is a superposition of eigenstates ##\phi_n##,
    $$
    \psi(0) = \sum_n c_n \phi_n
    $$
    then
    $$
    \psi(t) = \sum_n c_n e^{-i E_n t / \hbar} \phi_n
    $$

When you've done a correctly, you'll have ##E_{nlm}## for each state ##| n l m \rangle##, and therefore can get ##|\Psi(t)\rangle## for any time ##t##. You will then have to calculate projections like ##\langle \psi_1 | \Psi(t) \rangle##, from which you can calculate the probabilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted