1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time derivatives of polar motion

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves with v=constant along the curve
    $$r = k(1+\cos \theta)$$Find ##\mathbf{a}##

2. Relevant equations
    $$ \mathbf{r} = r\mathbf{e_r}$$ $$ \mathbf{v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(r\mathbf{e_r}) $$ $$ \mathbf{a} = \frac{\partial \mathbf{v}}{\partial t} $$ $$\mathbf{\dot e_r}=\dot \theta\mathbf{e_\theta} $$ $$\mathbf{\dot e_\theta}= -\dot \theta\mathbf{e_r} $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$\mathbf{v} = \dot r\mathbf{e_r}+r\mathbf{\dot e_r} = \dot r\mathbf{e_r} + r\dot \theta\mathbf{e_\theta}$$ $$\mathbf{a} = \ddot r\mathbf{e_r}+\dot r\mathbf{\dot e_r}+\dot r\dot \theta\mathbf{e_\theta}+r\ddot \theta\mathbf{e_\theta}+r\dot \theta\mathbf{\dot e_\theta} $$ $$\mathbf{a} = \ddot r\mathbf{e_r}+\dot r\dot \theta\mathbf{e_\theta}+\dot r \dot \theta\mathbf{e_\theta}+r\ddot \theta\mathbf{e_\theta}-r\dot \theta ^2\mathbf{e_r}$$ $$\mathbf{a} = (\ddot r - r\dot \theta ^2)\mathbf{e_r} + (2\dot r\dot \theta + r\ddot \theta)\mathbf{e_\theta}$$
    From here I am having some trouble. I cannot figure out how to get equations for ##r## and ##\theta## in terms of ##t##. I would guess that it has something to do with v being constant. Because r is a cardioid I don't think I can just use ##\theta=t##.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have not yet used the fact that speed is constant. The first equation in your attempted solution gives the velocity. Use that to develop a formula for the speed and then set that equal to a constant. That should give you something to substitute into your last equation to get rid of some stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted