Time Derivatives: Taking the Time Derivative of (theta dot)^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fellowroot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Fellowroot
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



My question is how do I take the time derivative of (theta dot)^2?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Is the answer just 2(theta double dot)^1 or do you use chain rule 2(theta dot)*(theta double dot)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, assuming theta is a function of time, you must use the chain rule!
 
I take that your "dot" refers to differentiation with respect to time, t,- I will use a prime since it is simpler here- and you are asking about the derivative of [itex](\theta')^2[/itex].

The derivative of any [itex](f(t))^2[/itex] with respect to t is [itex]2f(t)f'(t)[/itex], by the chain rule, so the derivative of [itex](\theta(t)')^2[/itex] is [itex]2(\theta')(\theta'')[/itex].