What is usually the time-derivative of i-hat?

• Thread starter lightlightsup
  • Start date
In summary: So, when I say they change with position, I'm really saying that the vectors change with position.And, in fact, the unit vectors change depending on the position and velocity of the particle at each point in its path.
lightlightsup
Homework Statement
##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##
Relevant Equations
##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##
##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##

I'm trying to understand how to derive the entire polar vector system from ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## and since I'm new to all of this, I didn't realize that you could take the time-derivative of a unit-vector like like ##\hat{r}## or ##\hat{θ}##.
This led me to asking the question above.
I believe the answer is 0 because the x-axis or ##\hat{i}## usually does not change with time but ##\hat{r} = \cos{θ(t)}\hat{i} + \sin{θ(t)}\hat{j}## does change with time because ##θ## changes with time/##t##.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Here's a more thorough discussion of it beyond what you asked:

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/73340532.pdf
No, that is using hats to mean something entirely different (fractional rate of change).

Likes Orodruin
lightlightsup said:
Homework Statement:: ##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##
Homework Equations:: ##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##

##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##

I'm trying to understand how to derive the entire polar vector system from ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## and since I'm new to all of this, I didn't realize that you could take the time-derivative of a unit-vector like like ##\hat{r}## or ##\hat{θ}##.
I believe the answer is 0 because the x-axis or ##\hat{i}## usually does not change with time but ##\hat{r} = \cos{θ(t)}\hat{i} + \sin{θ(t)}\hat{j}## does change with time because ##θ## changes with time/##t##.
You are correct. As long as you keep your coordinate system fixed, ##\hat i## does not change as it is the same everywhere. For a curvilinear coordinate system, basis vectors change from point to point and if you move around and change point, the basis vector at the point you are at will generally change as you change the point.

jedishrfu said:
Here's a more thorough discussion of it beyond what you asked:

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/73340532.pdf
This does not really cover what the OP is looking for, which is the derivatives of basis vectors in a Cartesian coordinate system.

Likes lightlightsup
lightlightsup said:
Homework Statement:: ##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##
Homework Equations:: ##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##

##\dot{\hat{i}} = 0?##

You have to distinguish between things as they are defined in the 2D plane and how things change as a particle moves about in a 2D plane.

Neither Cartesian nor polar basis vectors change over time. You have a fixed coordinate system in each case.

But, the polar unit vectors change with position. The vectors ##\hat r## and ##\hat \theta## do not point in the same direction at each point in the plane. The vectors ##\hat i## and ##\hat j## do, of course, point in the same direction at each point.

This means that for a particle moving in the plane the local polar unit vectors change direction as the particle changes its position. And, in fact, the unit vectors change depending on the position and velocity of the particle at each point in its path.

PeroK said:
And, in fact, the unit vectors change depending on the position and velocity of the particle at each point in its path.
Clarification, they only depend on the position. Their rate of change depends on velocity as that is the rate of change in the position.

PeroK said:
You have to distinguish between things as they are defined in the 2D plane and how things change as a particle moves about in a 2D plane.

Neither Cartesian nor polar basis vectors change over time. You have a fixed coordinate system in each case.

But, the polar unit vectors change with position. The vectors ##\hat r## and ##\hat \theta## do not point in the same direction at each point in the plane. The vectors ##\hat i## and ##\hat j## do, of course, point in the same direction at each point.

This means that for a particle moving in the plane the local polar unit vectors change direction as the particle changes its position. And, in fact, the unit vectors change depending on the position and velocity of the particle at each point in its path.

I think we're almost saying the same thing.
The way I'm mathematically modeling movement at this level is as some function of time:
##\hat{r} = \cos{θ(t)}\hat{i} + \sin{θ(t)}\hat{j}##
So, in my case, if ##θ(t) = ωt##, where ##ω## is a constant, then: position is being modeled as a function of time. The direction of ##\hat{r}## is dependent on ##θ## which is dependent on ##ωt##.
##\hat{r}## is a unique unit-vector because, unlike ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}##, it is described in terms of other unit-vectors (##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}##)?

Please let me know if there is something incorrect about any of this.
Thank You.

Deriving and using the polar vector system blew me away.
It is cool, sophisticated, and seemingly obvious at the same time.

In polar coordinates, the unit vectors are $$\hat{r}=\cos{\theta}\hat{i}+\sin{\theta}\hat{j}$$and$$\hat{\theta}-\sin{\theta}\hat{i}+\cos{\theta}\hat{j}$$So, $$d\hat{r}=(-\sin{\theta}\hat{i}+\cos{\theta}\hat{j})d\theta=\hat{\theta}d\theta$$and$$d\hat{\theta}-(\cos{\theta}\hat{i}+\sin{\theta}\hat{j})d\theta=-\hat{r}d\theta$$

Likes lightlightsup
@OP,
Unit vectors ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## can have finite time derivatives, unlike cartesians i and j.
They are ## \dot{\hat{r}} = \dot{\theta} ~ \hat{\theta} ## and ## \dot{\hat{\theta}} = - \dot{\theta} ~ \hat{r} ##

So your assumptions are correct.

Last edited:
Likes lightlightsup
rude man said:
@OP,
Unit vectors ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## can have finite time derivatives, unlike cartesians i and j.
They are ## \dot{\hat{r}} = \dot{\theta} ~ \hat{\theta} ## and ## \dot{\hat{\theta}} = - \dot{\theta} ~ \hat{r} ##

Am I also correct in assuming that ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## are actually always defined in terms of ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}##?
They just greatly help simplify the description of complex circular motion? Which is the reason why they are used?

rude man said:
@OP,

Try \boldsymbol{\theta}

lightlightsup said:
They just greatly help simplify the description of complex circular motion? Which is the reason why they are used?
That is one of many applications where polar coordinates (or cylinder coordinates in 3D) are useful.

Chestermiller said:
Try \boldsymbol{\theta}
Thanks Chet.

lightlightsup said:
Am I also correct in assuming that ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## are actually always defined in terms of ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}##?
Polar (and cylindrical; same thing except the z axis is added to accommodate 3-D situations) ) coordinates are used when the geometry suggests it. E.g in constant-speed circular motion Newtons equaton reduces to just ##F_r = - r{\dot{\theta} }^2 ## i.e just one component of force. In x-y the solution is significantly more involved, with two (x and y) components.

You can define polar coordinates in cartesian i and j (see post 10) but they really exist stand-alone.

There are other coordinate systems: spherical (3-D) and tangential/normal coordinates. As if that isn't enough, there are the general coordinates (Lagrangians) where you actually design your own coordinate system to fit the problem! This sounds wild but after learning it I was able to go back in my textbook and solve earlier-chapter problems much more easily that way.

The above refers to kinematics. Cartesian, cyhlindrical and spherical coordinate systems are all of them equally indispensable when you want to solve problems in thermodynamics, electricity & magnetism, and light, such as Laplace's equation. Again, geomtry is the usual determinant for choice.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of the time-derivative of i-hat?

The time-derivative of i-hat is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of the vector i-hat over time. It is represented by the symbol dix/dt and is calculated by taking the derivative of the x-component of the vector with respect to time.

2. How is the time-derivative of i-hat related to velocity?

The time-derivative of i-hat is directly related to velocity. In fact, it is a component of the velocity vector. The time-derivative of i-hat represents the rate of change of the x-component of velocity, or the horizontal velocity, over time.

3. Can the time-derivative of i-hat be negative?

Yes, the time-derivative of i-hat can be negative. This indicates that the vector i-hat is decreasing in magnitude over time.

4. What factors can affect the time-derivative of i-hat?

The time-derivative of i-hat can be affected by various factors such as changes in position, changes in velocity, and external forces acting on the object. It can also be affected by the direction and magnitude of the vector i-hat itself.

5. How is the time-derivative of i-hat used in real-world applications?

The time-derivative of i-hat is used in many fields of science and engineering, particularly in physics and mechanics. It is used to analyze and predict the motion of objects, such as projectiles, vehicles, and celestial bodies. It is also used in the development and design of various technologies, such as airplanes and satellites, to ensure their safe and efficient operation.