Time-Energy Uncertainty relation

In summary, the student is asking for clarification on a homework question where their answer does not match the given answer. They provide their attempted solution and believe it to be correct, with an answer of approximately 66eV. They request confirmation on their method and express their suspicion that the given answer is incorrect.
chris_0101

Homework Statement

So I have this homework question and the answer that was given to me to check the answer that I have does not match with my answer. The question I have to complete is shown below:
question 8.JPG

The answer given to me is D, 6.6eV

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]t[tex]\Delta[/tex]E = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/2

Rearranged for [tex]\Delta[/tex]E:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E = [STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/2[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempt the question my answer is 65.8eV, approximately 66eV. This matches with selection c, which makes me believe that the answer given is incorrect and my method is correct.

If someone could clarify this uncertainty (no pun intended), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That method looks correct, and it also gives me 66 eV.
It would seem to me that the answer you were given is not right.

(Unintended pun duly noted).

What is the Time-Energy Uncertainty relation?

The Time-Energy Uncertainty relation is a principle in quantum mechanics that states there is an inherent uncertainty in the measurement of both time and energy of a particle. It is also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle.

How does the Time-Energy Uncertainty relation work?

The Time-Energy Uncertainty relation states that the product of the uncertainties in time and energy measurements must be greater than or equal to a constant value, known as Planck's constant divided by 4π. This means that the more precisely we measure the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can measure its time, and vice versa.

Why is the Time-Energy Uncertainty relation important?

The Time-Energy Uncertainty relation is important because it sets a fundamental limit on the precision with which we can measure certain physical quantities in quantum mechanics. It also has implications for the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale and helps us understand the uncertainty and randomness inherent in quantum systems.

What are some real-world applications of the Time-Energy Uncertainty relation?

The Time-Energy Uncertainty relation has applications in a variety of fields, including nuclear physics, particle physics, and quantum computing. It is also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and is used in technologies such as electron microscopes and scanning tunneling microscopes.

Is the Time-Energy Uncertainty relation a proven concept?

Yes, the Time-Energy Uncertainty relation has been extensively tested and has been shown to hold true in a wide range of experiments. It is considered a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is widely accepted by the scientific community.