Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time evolution and the Dirac Equation

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    I have a question about the Dirac Equation. I know that if I have a given initial state in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, I can find the Fourier coefficients using that state, and then write down the wavefunction for any time. But if I have an initial state wavefunction (that is, the value of the wavefunction at t=0) in relativistic quantum mechanics, how do I find the wavefunction for any general time?

Also, could anyone recommend books/websites that explain this in more detail? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2
    Hi arunma,

Normally you would find the time evolution by applying the "time evolution operator" to your initial wave function:

[tex] |\Psi(t) \rangle = exp(itH) |\Psi(0) \rangle [/tex]

So, you need to have a well-defined Hamiltonian H. However, I don't think this would work with the Hamiltonian of Dirac equation due to "zitterbewegung" problems.

There is a discussion about the time evolution in quantum field theories (QED) in http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0504062 . See, especially, chapter 9.

4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the link Eugene, I'll check it out.
  5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    I think there is no problem (at least, no mathematical problem) in defining time evolution of the Dirac equation by way of a Hamiltonian.

The Dirac equation can be written in the form
    \partial_0 \psi(t,x) = -i (\gamma^0 m + \gamma^0\gamma^j\partial_j) \psi(t,x)
    where psi is a 4-component spinor, and sum over j=1,2,3.

If we take Fourier transforms in the 3 spatial dimensions, that is, define
    \hat{\psi}_t(k) = \int d^3x \; \psi(t,x) \; e^{-ikx} \qquad
    \psi(t,x) = \int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^{3}} \; \hat{\psi}_t(k) \; e^{ikx}
    then the Dirac equation becomes
    \partial_0 \hat{\psi}_t(k) &= -i (\gamma^0 m + \gamma^0\gamma^j ik_j) \hat{\psi}_t(k).
    H = (\gamma^0 m + \gamma^0\gamma^j ik_j),
    and this can be solved; the solution is
    \hat{\psi}_t(k) &= \exp( -iHt) \hat{\psi}_0(k).
    where \psi_0 are the initial conditions. It's possible to evaluate the exponential in closed form, because H^2 simplifies using the result H^2 = E^2 = (k^2 + m^2).
    \exp( -iHt ) = \left( \cos( Et ) - \frac{i \sin( Et )}{E}H \right)
    Given that \hat{\psi}_t is now given explicitly for all t, this implies (by inverse fourier transform) that \psi(t,x) is constrained for all t.

As a related comment, I thought it was quite interesting to note that evolution in Fourier space is simply pointwise multiplication by the matrix exp( -iHt ). This means that evolution in real space is convolution with the Fourier transform of exp( -iHt ), which is precisely what we mean by a propagator. I *think* that if you explicitly evaluate the Fourier transform of exp( -iHt ), you get to the retarded Green's function, but I got stuck with the math.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?