Time Evolution of Gaussian Wave packets

In summary, the wave equation for a gaussian wavepacket is given by:psi(x) = (sigma*sqrt(pi))^1/2 * exp(-(x-x0)^2 / 2*sigma^2) * exp(ik0(x-x0)phi(k) = (sigma/sqrt(pi))^1/2 * exp(-(sigma^2 * (k-k0)^2) / 2) * exp(-ik0x)
thegaussian
Hi, I'm trying to derive a wave equation for a gaussian wavepacket for both the position (x) and the momentum (k), for a wave packet of width sigma, at some initial position x0 and with an initial momentum k0.

Now I have worked out the initial wavepacket equation to be:

psi(x) = (sigma*sqrt(pi))^1/2 * exp(-(x-x0)^2 / 2*sigma^2) * exp(ik0(x-x0)

and I've Fourier transformed the result to get the initial momentum wavepacket:

phi(k) = (sigma/sqrt(pi))^1/2 * exp(-(sigma^2 * (k-k0)^2) / 2) * exp(-ik0x)

Now I'm not sure how to progess in order to achieve a time dependent version of the equation... I've tried a few methods but I'm not too sure... Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
thegaussian said:
Hi, I'm trying to derive a wave equation for a gaussian wavepacket for both the position (x) and the momentum (k), for a wave packet of width sigma, at some initial position x0 and with an initial momentum k0.

Now I have worked out the initial wavepacket equation to be:

psi(x) = (sigma*sqrt(pi))^1/2 * exp(-(x-x0)^2 / 2*sigma^2) * exp(ik0(x-x0)

and I've Fourier transformed the result to get the initial momentum wavepacket:

phi(k) = (sigma/sqrt(pi))^1/2 * exp(-(sigma^2 * (k-k0)^2) / 2) * exp(-ik0x)
is that last "x" supposed to be an "x0"? there shouldn't be any x dependence in phi(k)...

Now I'm not sure how to progess in order to achieve a time dependent version of the equation... I've tried a few methods but I'm not too sure... Any help would be great!

So, to get the time-dependence you need to have a hamiltonian... are we just dealing with the free-particle hamiltonian?

woops yeah it is meant to be x0... :)
yes it's just the free particle hamiltonian, no potential. I tried using a separation of variables technique:
psi(x,t) = X(x)T(t), and then sticking that in schrodingers equation using psi(x) = X(x), but I couldn't get that to work...

Wow, that's quite a coincidence. We asked pretty much the same question at nearly exactly the same time... my thread is the one immediately below yours in the thread listing.

The time dependence of the evolving wave packet is given there as a Fourier transform... but I couldn't do the inverse transform.

Dave

yup, pretty similar questions.

thegaussian should have a look at schieghovens thread to see how he stuck in the time dependence.

the difference is that since thegaussian has a free particle hamiltonian (so that omega=k^2/2m rather than omega=|k|) the integral he ends up having to do is just another gaussian intergral...

thegaussian said:
Hi, I'm trying to derive a wave equation for a gaussian wavepacket for both the position (x) and the momentum (k),
There's a treatement on the spreading of the wave function in the
openings chapter on the Klein Gordon equation in my book here:

http://physics-quest.org/Book_Chapter_Klein_Gordon.pdfSee section 9.9. You may want to have a look at 9.8 first.Regards, Hans

I found an answer in closed form, and posted it on the other thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=269345

It's for the massless relativistic case -- I'm not sure whether it's the case you wanted. (The answer there is a bit overcomplicated, since I subsequently realized you could just take the real part of the solution I gave, and get a simpler answer.)

Dave

1. What is a Gaussian wave packet?

A Gaussian wave packet is a type of wave function that describes the probability amplitude of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation and is characterized by its shape, which resembles a bell curve.

2. How does a Gaussian wave packet evolve over time?

The time evolution of a Gaussian wave packet follows the laws of quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation. This means that the wave packet will spread out over time, becoming wider and flatter, while also maintaining its overall shape.

3. What factors affect the time evolution of a Gaussian wave packet?

The time evolution of a Gaussian wave packet is affected by several factors, including the potential energy of the system, the initial position and momentum of the particle, and any external forces acting on the particle.

4. What is the significance of studying the time evolution of Gaussian wave packets?

Studying the time evolution of Gaussian wave packets allows scientists to better understand the behavior of quantum particles and systems. This is important for applications in fields such as quantum computing and particle physics.

5. Can the time evolution of a Gaussian wave packet be observed experimentally?

Yes, the time evolution of Gaussian wave packets can be observed experimentally through techniques such as scattering experiments and time-resolved measurements. These experiments provide evidence for the validity of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.