Gaussian wave packet in position space

In summary, the conversation discusses the Gaussian wave packet and its corresponding expressions in momentum and position space. The participants also share their experiences with numerical evaluations using software such as Mathematica and MATLAB, and discuss issues with normalization and scaling. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider the factor of N in the ifft function as a possible source of the scaling discrepancies in the numerical evaluation.
KFC
Hi all,
The Gaussian wave packet is widely discussed in the text. I got the following expression for wave packet in momentum space

##\psi(p, 0) = A \exp\left[-(p-p_0)^2/ (2\sigma_p^2)\right]##
with ##A=\sqrt{2\sigma_p/\sqrt{2\pi}}##

As my understanding, the corresponding wave packet in position space should be inverse Fourier transformation of ##\psi(p, 0)##. I plot the ##\psi(p, 0)## in matlab, I saw the Gaussian profile. But when I take the inverse Fourier transformation ifftshift(ifft(psi)), I saw something of the order ##10^{-6}##. I have no idea why is it.

Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
I saw something of the order 10−610^{-6}
So long as it's normalized, what's the problem? It depends on how you set the parameter values anyway.

The problem is after the numerical transformation, all samples for the packet is about ##10^{-6}## instead of ranged from 0 to ##10^{-6}## that means it is almost zero everywhere. Let me restate my question with some code and data. I think I made an mistake in the first post, here is the Guassian in momentum

##
\psi(p) = \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma_p}}\exp\left[-\dfrac{(p-p_0)^2}{4\sigma_p^2}\right]
##

If you integrate this in mathematica, ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} |\psi(p)|^2dp = 1##. I also tried to find the wave packet in position by inverse Fourier transformation, I got

##
\phi(x) = \sqrt{\dfrac{2\sigma_p}{\sqrt{2\pi}}} \exp\left[-\sigma_p x^2\right]\exp(ip_0x)
##

and ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} |\phi(x)|^2dx = 1##. Plotting those functions with ##p_0=0, \sigma_p=1##, we observe that ##|\psi(p)|^2## with minimum and maximum as 0 and about 0.9; the minimum and maximum for ##|\phi(x)|^2## is about 0 to 1.2

Now doing numerical evaluation by matlab, I try

p0 = 0;
sigma_beta = 1;
psi = sqrt(1/sqrt(2*pi)/sigma_beta);*exp(-((p-p0).^2)/(4*sigma_beta^2));
phi = ifftshift(ifft(psi));

plot(abs(phi).^2);

The range for the plot is about ##10^{-5}## and is we sum over the ##|\phi|^2##, I've got 5.9921e-04 while the sum of ##|\psi|^2## gives 1. See the attachment (don't know why it upload twice and seems I cannot remove one of them)

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 441
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 422
KFC said:
I also tried to find the wave packet in position by inverse Fourier transformation, I got

##
\phi(x) = \sqrt{\dfrac{2\sigma_p}{\sqrt{2\pi}}} \exp\left[-\sigma_p x^2\right]\exp(ip_0x)
##
I haven't checked your calculation, but I just want to confirm, have you considered that ##p=\hbar k##? Forgetting this may also affect the scaling of the wavepacket in position space, and hence the numerical integration.

Thanks for your reply. I rescale the system with ##\hbar=1##. Moreover, in both analytical calculation (mathematica) and numerical one (matlab), I have the same scale (##\hbar=1##). so the result should be identical. But they are not. My question is why the numerical one doesn't give the same one from analytical expression.

Your analytic formulas seem to be correct, provided that you set ##\hbar=1##. So you have a MATLAB problem, not a physics problem.

Last edited:
KFC said:
I've got 5.9921e-04 while the sum of ##|\psi|^2## gives 1. See the attachment (don't know why it upload twice and seems I cannot remove one of them)
Do you simply sum up the components, or do you also multiply by ##dx## or ##dp##?

While ifft(fft(psi)) should recover the original psi, I don't know what normalization of the single action of fft or ifft should be. From what I can gather from the manual, there is a ##1/N## factor in ifft, with nothing for the forward fft, so that might be the origin of the scaling you see.

Thanks for reply. Yes, I sum up all components and multiply it with dx or dp to test normalization.
For fft part, yes, it has the 1/N in front of series, I've already taking that factor in consideration, but still no help.

KFC said:
it has the 1/N in front of series, I've already taking that factor in consideration, but still no help.
How?

KFC said:
p0 = 0;
sigma_beta = 1;
psi = sqrt(1/sqrt(2*pi)/sigma_beta);*exp(-((p-p0).^2)/(4*sigma_beta^2));
phi = ifftshift(ifft(psi));

plot(abs(phi).^2);
I don't see anything in there that involves N.

1. What is a Gaussian wave packet in position space?

A Gaussian wave packet in position space is a mathematical representation of a quantum particle's position probability distribution. It is a wave-like function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a particular position in space.

2. How is a Gaussian wave packet in position space related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum. A Gaussian wave packet in position space reflects this principle as it has a narrow position distribution, indicating a precise position, but a broad momentum distribution, indicating uncertainty in momentum.

3. What are the parameters that define a Gaussian wave packet in position space?

The parameters that define a Gaussian wave packet in position space are the peak position, the width, and the amplitude. The peak position determines the center of the packet, the width determines the spread of the packet, and the amplitude determines the height of the packet.

4. How does the shape of a Gaussian wave packet in position space change over time?

The shape of a Gaussian wave packet in position space changes over time due to the quantum phenomenon of wave function collapse. As the particle's position becomes more certain, the width of the packet decreases, making it more peaked. Conversely, as the momentum becomes more certain, the width of the packet increases, making it more spread out.

5. What is the physical significance of a Gaussian wave packet in position space?

A Gaussian wave packet in position space has physical significance as it represents the probability of finding a quantum particle at a particular position in space. It is also used to describe the behavior of wave-like phenomena, such as the motion of electrons in a crystal lattice.