Time Evolution of the Complex Scalar Field

In summary, the Lagrangian L describes a system with conjugate momenta pi and pi* to the fields phi and phi*, respectively. Upon quantizing the system, these fields are promoted to operators with equal-time commutation relations. In the Heisenberg regime, the time evolution of the operator phi(x) is given by [phi(x), H(y)], where the Hamiltonian is derived from the Lagrangian. In this case, the commutator [phi(x), phi(y)] vanishes due to the space-like separation of x and y.
Xenosum

Homework Statement

Consider the Lagrangian, L, given by

[tex] L = \partial_{\mu}\phi^{*}(x)\partial^{\mu}\phi(x) - m^2\phi^{*}(x)\phi(x) . [/tex]

The conjugate momenta to [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \phi^{*}(x) [/itex] are denoted, respectively, by [itex] \pi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \pi^{*}(x) [/itex]. Thus,

[tex] \pi(x) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_{0}\phi(x))} = \partial_0\phi^{*}(x) [/tex]
[tex] \pi^{*}(x) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_{0}\phi^{*}(x))} = \partial_0\phi(x) .[/tex]

Upon quantizing the system, [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \phi^{*}(x) [/itex] are promoted to operators which satisfy the equal-time commutation relations:

[tex] [ \phi(x) , \pi(y) ] = i\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x} - \vec{y}) [/tex]
[tex] [ \phi^{*}(x) , \pi^{*}(y) ] = i\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x} - \vec{y}) [/tex]

(all others zero). In the Heisenberg regime, the time evolution of the operator [itex] \phi(x) [/itex], [itex] i \partial_0 \phi(x) [/itex], is given by

[tex] i \partial_0 \phi(x) = \left[ \phi(x) , H(y) \right]. [/tex]

The Hamiltonian may be derived from the Lagrangian, and we find that

[tex] i\frac{\partial \phi(x)}{\partial t} = \int d^{3}y \left( \left[ \phi(x) , \pi(y)\pi^{*}(y) \right] + \left[ \phi(x) , \nabla\phi^{*}(y) \cdot \nabla\phi(y) \right] + m^2 \left[ \phi(x) , \phi^{*}(y)\phi(y) \right] \right). [/tex]

Now here's my question. When we evaluate the commutators both my professor and a solution manual to Peskin and Schroeder claim that only the first commutator survives, because [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] commutes with everything except for the its conjugate momentum (by the canonical commutation relations). I don't see why. The canonical commutation relations only give us a relationship between [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \pi(y) [/itex], not e.g. [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \phi(y) [/itex]. The point is pressed by the fact that one can only show that the commutator [itex] \left[ \phi(x) , \phi(y) \right] [/itex] vanishes for space-like separation between the points x and y (this is the condition which preserves causality).

I guess it would be resolved if the commutator were instead [itex] \left[ \phi(x) , H(x) \right] [/itex], but this doesn't seem to be how it's done.

Thanks for any help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Xenosum said:
In the Heisenberg regime, the time evolution of the operator ϕ(x) \phi(x) , i∂0ϕ(x) i \partial_0 \phi(x) , is given by

i∂0ϕ(x)=[ϕ(x),H(y)].​

The Hamiltonian really should be the Hamiltonian at time ##x^0 = y^0## (note that you are integrating over the spatial components of ##y##). As a result, ##x## and ##y## have space-like separation and the commutator ##[\phi(x),\phi(y)]## vanishes (they are even equal-time).

Likes Xenosum
Cool, thanks!

What is the Complex Scalar Field?

The Complex Scalar Field is a theoretical concept in physics that describes the behavior of a field with both magnitude and direction. It is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory and is used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

What is Time Evolution?

Time Evolution refers to the change in a system over time. In the context of the Complex Scalar Field, it refers to how the field changes and evolves over time according to certain equations and principles.

How is the Complex Scalar Field related to Time Evolution?

The Complex Scalar Field is used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions, which are affected by time evolution. The equations and principles of the Complex Scalar Field help us understand how the field changes and evolves over time.

What is the significance of studying the Time Evolution of the Complex Scalar Field?

Studying the Time Evolution of the Complex Scalar Field is important for understanding the fundamental behaviors of particles and their interactions. It also has applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and particle physics.

What are some current research areas related to Time Evolution of the Complex Scalar Field?

Current research in this area includes studying the behavior of the Complex Scalar Field in different spacetime geometries, exploring its role in cosmological models, and investigating its connections to other fields such as gravity and electromagnetism.