1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Evolution of the Complex Scalar Field

1. Sep 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the Lagrangian, L, given by

[tex] L = \partial_{\mu}\phi^{*}(x)\partial^{\mu}\phi(x) - m^2\phi^{*}(x)\phi(x) . [/tex]

The conjugate momenta to [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \phi^{*}(x) [/itex] are denoted, respectively, by [itex] \pi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \pi^{*}(x) [/itex]. Thus,

[tex] \pi(x) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_{0}\phi(x))} = \partial_0\phi^{*}(x) [/tex]
    [tex] \pi^{*}(x) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_{0}\phi^{*}(x))} = \partial_0\phi(x) .[/tex]

Upon quantizing the system, [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \phi^{*}(x) [/itex] are promoted to operators which satisfy the equal-time commutation relations:

[tex] [ \phi(x) , \pi(y) ] = i\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x} - \vec{y}) [/tex]
    [tex] [ \phi^{*}(x) , \pi^{*}(y) ] = i\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x} - \vec{y}) [/tex]

(all others zero). In the Heisenberg regime, the time evolution of the operator [itex] \phi(x) [/itex], [itex] i \partial_0 \phi(x) [/itex], is given by

[tex] i \partial_0 \phi(x) = \left[ \phi(x) , H(y) \right]. [/tex]

The Hamiltonian may be derived from the Lagrangian, and we find that

[tex] i\frac{\partial \phi(x)}{\partial t} = \int d^{3}y \left( \left[ \phi(x) , \pi(y)\pi^{*}(y) \right] + \left[ \phi(x) , \nabla\phi^{*}(y) \cdot \nabla\phi(y) \right] + m^2 \left[ \phi(x) , \phi^{*}(y)\phi(y) \right] \right). [/tex]

Now here's my question. When we evaluate the commutators both my professor and a solution manual to Peskin and Schroeder claim that only the first commutator survives, because [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] commutes with everything except for the its conjugate momentum (by the canonical commutation relations). I don't see why. The canonical commutation relations only give us a relationship between [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \pi(y) [/itex], not e.g. [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] and [itex] \phi(y) [/itex]. The point is pressed by the fact that one can only show that the commutator [itex] \left[ \phi(x) , \phi(y) \right] [/itex] vanishes for space-like separation between the points x and y (this is the condition which preserves causality).

I guess it would be resolved if the commutator were instead [itex] \left[ \phi(x) , H(x) \right] [/itex], but this doesn't seem to be how it's done.

Thanks for any help!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Hamiltonian really should be the Hamiltonian at time ##x^0 = y^0## (note that you are integrating over the spatial components of ##y##). As a result, ##x## and ##y## have space-like separation and the commutator ##[\phi(x),\phi(y)]## vanishes (they are even equal-time).

4. Sep 27, 2014 #3
    Cool, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted