1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time for Non-Uniform Acceleration

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    I've been trying to figure out this seemingly simple problem for a theoretical project I'm doing, but can't figure it out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't real, but say that a vehicle travels from 0 to 200 feet linearly at a non-constant acceleration of 32.17 m/s^2 (1g), but the acceleration is in a linear y=mx line. Ignoring friction forces, how long did it take to travel that 200 feet?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I can't use kinematics because it's a non-constant acceleration, so I'll probably have to use calculus and differential equations. I know that the graph of velocity will be exponential, and acceleration will be linear. I don't know any times so I can't take the integral.

I know: x1=0, x2=200, a1=0, a2=32.17, but that's about it.

Any ideas on how I can tackle this problem without a function?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2
    I think it might help if you stated the problem. The acceleration varies linearly with what? displacement ? time? If a1 is zero why will the body start moving? Does it have a velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted