Time-harmonic functions (Complex Vectors)

In summary, the time-average of any time-harmonic function is always zero, as long as the time interval being averaged over is an integer multiple of the period of the function. This means that the average value of the function over a whole number of periods will always be zero, since the positive and negative areas will cancel out.
jeff1evesque
Statement:
[tex]<v(t)> = \frac{1}{T} \int^{T}_{0}v(t)dt = \frac{1}{T} \int^{T}_{0}V_0cos(\omega t + \phi)dt \equiv 0.[/tex] (#1)Relevant Question:
If we suppose [tex]v(t)[/tex] is a complex vector, is the second equality above still true?Reasoning:
If [tex]v(t)[/tex] is a complex vector, then [tex]v(t) = cos(\omega t)\hat{x} + sin(\omega t)\hat{y}.[/tex]

But we also know (by sum to angle identity), [tex]cos(\omega t + \theta) = cos(\omega t)cos(\theta) - sin(\omega t)sin(\theta) \Leftrightarrow V_0cos(\omega t + \theta) = V_0[cos(\omega t)cos(\theta) - sin(\omega t)sin(\theta)= V_0[cos(\omega t)cos(\theta)][/tex]

But is the following true:
[tex]V_0[cos(\omega t)cos(\theta)] = cos(\omega t)\hat{x} + sin(\omega t)\hat{y} ?[/tex]
Because in the original equation (#1), if v(t) is a complex vector, I cannot see why [tex]v(t) = V_0cos(\omega t + \phi)?[/tex]thanks,
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really see how v(t) ( as you have defined it ) is a complex vector in the first place.

What I wrote was really,
[tex]
v(t) = cos(\omega t)\hat{x} + sin(\omega t)\hat{y} = A\hat{x} + jB\hat{y}
[/tex]

the left equality is really "instantaneous form".

Last edited:
The fact remains that v(t) is not a complex vector. Sure, as we've talked about before, you can express the cosine function or the sine function as phasors if you like. I just don't see what that has to do with anything. Perhaps you could clarify your question? If your question is:

What is [itex] \langle \textbf{v}(t) \rangle [/itex] if [itex] \textbf{v}(t) [/itex] is defined as:

[tex] \textbf{v}(t) \equiv \cos(\omega t) \hat{\textbf{x}} + \sin(\omega t) \hat{\textbf{y}} [/tex]​

Then I think that the answer is:

[tex] \langle \textbf{v}(t) \rangle \equiv \frac{1}{T} \left( \hat{\textbf{x}} \int_0^T \cos(\omega t)\, dt + \hat{\textbf{y}} \int_0^T \sin(\omega t)\, dt \right) [/tex]

[tex] = 0\hat{\textbf{x}} + 0\hat{\textbf{y}} [/tex]​

which kind of makes sense when you think about it, since the vector goes around in a circle and ends up back where it started.

I am just curious because in my notes it says "The time-average of any time-harmonic function is always zero." That part makes sense, I think you answered that last time for me. But I don't understand why [tex]v(t) = V_0cos(\omega t + \phi)?[/tex] In previous pages of my notes, we've defined v(t) as both complex vectors, and complex vectors in the instantaneous form (I wrote above).

Without seeing your notes, it is difficult for me to comment further. The fact is,

[tex] \cos(\omega t) \hat{\textbf{x}} + \sin(\omega t) \hat{\textbf{y}} \neq V_0\cos(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]​

The thing on the left hand side is a vector and the thing on the right hand side is a scalar. EDIT: As far as I can see, two different things are being talked about and are being referred to as "v(t)."

Since cosine and sine can be written as one another- by shifting the phase,

[tex]
\frac{1}{T} \int^{T}_{0}v(t)dt = \frac{1}{T} \int^{T}_{0}V_0cos(\omega t + \phi)dt.
[/tex]

Suppose [tex]\phi = 90\circ[/tex], then it follows

[tex]
\frac{1}{T} \int^{T}_{0}v(t)dt = \frac{1}{T} \int^{T}_{0}V_0sin(\omega t)dt = - \frac{\omega V_0cos(\omega t)}{T}|^{T}_{0} \neq 0
\Leftrightarrow T \neq 0[/tex]

Doesn't that mean that a time-harmonic function is not always zero?

Thanks for reading my posts,JL

Last edited:
[tex] \cos(\omega T) = \cos \left(\frac{2 \pi}{T}T\right) = \cos(2 \pi) = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \cos(0) = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \cos(\omega T) - \cos(0) = 1 - 1 = 0 [/tex]​

Without doing any math, you can see that the integral of a sinusoidal function over any whole number of periods will be zero, because you will always be adding together an equal amount of "positive area" and "negative area" under the curve.

thanks

jeff1evesque said:
thanks
As I said in the associate thread that I was helping you with, this only applies if T is in integer multiple of the period.

Hootenanny said:
As I said in the associate thread that I was helping you with, this only applies if T is in integer multiple of the period.

For some reason in this example, I thought v(t) was some complex vector. Instead it shows that any sinusoid for harmonic functions have an time-average of zero, which is exactly what you said.

Thanks,JL

Hootenanny said:

Oh yeah. I assumed T WAS the period. But I guess T is the time interval over which you are averaging. In any case, I already stated as well that the integral would be zero over some whole number of periods, so we both got the disclaimer in there.

cepheid said:
Oh yeah. I assumed T WAS the period. But I guess T is the time interval over which you are averaging. In any case, I already stated as well that the integral would be zero over some whole number of periods, so we both got the disclaimer in there.
No problem, I just thought that I would clarify since in the OP's previous question he stated that he didn't know what T was and it wasn't defined in his notes.

1. What are time-harmonic functions?

Time-harmonic functions refer to a type of periodic function that can be expressed using complex vectors. These functions have a frequency component and a phase component, and they repeat themselves over time in a predictable manner.

2. How are complex vectors used in time-harmonic functions?

Complex vectors are used to represent the amplitude and phase of the periodic function at a specific point in time. By using complex numbers, we can easily manipulate and analyze these functions to understand their behavior.

3. What is the difference between real and complex time-harmonic functions?

Real time-harmonic functions only have one frequency component, while complex time-harmonic functions have both a frequency and a phase component. This means that real functions repeat themselves in a simple, predictable pattern, while complex functions can exhibit more complex behavior.

4. What are some applications of time-harmonic functions and complex vectors?

Time-harmonic functions and complex vectors are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and analyze periodic phenomena. They are also used in signal processing and communication systems to transmit and receive information.

5. How are time-harmonic functions related to the concept of frequency?

Time-harmonic functions are directly related to frequency, as they exhibit a repeating pattern at a specific frequency. The frequency of a time-harmonic function is determined by the frequency component of its complex vector representation.